Make a donation

Author Topic: changing from RCD 300 RCD 510  (Read 3194 times)

Offline jack_maxwell

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
changing from RCD 300 RCD 510
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:43:45 pm »
Hi,

Ive got a mk5 06 golf and i wanting to upgrade my radio to a RCD510. Ive got a few question though

1. Is it a straight swap just plug and play and no technical stuff needed as i would if i was putting in an RNS510
2. What is the interface like with ipods? is there a VW standard cable for it or do i need an aftermarket piece of kit?

Thanks

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
Re: changing from RCD 300 RCD 510
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »
Hi,

Ive got a mk5 06 golf and i wanting to upgrade my radio to a RCD510. Ive got a few question though

1. Is it a straight swap just plug and play and no technical stuff needed as i would if i was putting in an RNS510
2. What is the interface like with ipods? is there a VW standard cable for it or do i need an aftermarket piece of kit?

Thanks

Hi Jack

Fitment wise it is a straight plug and play, but unless you have the sound pack (amp under passenger seat, unlikely with an RCD300) you will most probably get battery drain so will need to update your canbus too.

For iPod you would be best with a mdi kit which could go in your glovebox or armrest as I believe it will charge and show track names. May be other options and I'm sure someone will mention of there is
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline tomanni

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:41 pm »
I did this in my 07 Ed30 about 6 months ago. I just got away without changing my canbus, but you will definitely need one as yours is an 06 plate. They cost around £70 and you will need someone with the ability to program it to your car. As far as I know, the MDI you'll need is about £70 too for the iPod connectivity which I haven't brought myself to pay for yet!

Offline jack_maxwell

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »
I did this in my 07 Ed30 about 6 months ago. I just got away without changing my canbus, but you will definitely need one as yours is an 06 plate. They cost around £70 and you will need someone with the ability to program it to your car. As far as I know, the MDI you'll need is about £70 too for the iPod connectivity which I haven't brought myself to pay for yet!

Thanks for the reply. What kind of person will need to do the programming as in do they need to have a vag-com?. If worst comes to worst will a vw garage do it?

Thanks again

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:38:14 pm »

Thanks for the reply. What kind of person will need to do the programming as in do they need to have a vag-com?. If worst comes to worst will a vw garage do it?

Thanks again

There are a few members on here that can do it and yes need VCDS. If you are south easy then EddieNL can supply and fit; mate of mine had his done by Ed and I have had cruise fitted - top guy
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline jack_maxwell

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:50:10 am »

Thanks again

There are a few members on here that can do it and yes need VCDS. If you are south easy then EddieNL can supply and fit; mate of mine had his done by Ed and I have had cruise fitted - top guy

Ye ive been speaking to ed and i think ill get him to send me a ready programmed gateway. the problem now is trying to get the dab radio to work, any help? I know that ill need a DAB antenna

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:50:04 am »

Thanks again

Ye ive been speaking to ed and i think ill get him to send me a ready programmed gateway. the problem now is trying to get the dab radio to work, any help? I know that ill need a DAB antenna

Just to confirm you do have the rcd510 dab version?

If you do all you need is a window mounted dab aerial, cost about £20.00. You also do not need to change the original aerial leads in the car, from memory they have a little blue clip on them, just remove these and remove plastic connector, leads will then fit new radio. I have had mine on for over year whithout any issues. Dab radio is great!

Offline jack_maxwell

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:43 am »

Thanks again

Just to confirm you do have the rcd510 dab version?

If you do all you need is a window mounted dab aerial, cost about £20.00. You also do not need to change the original aerial leads in the car, from memory they have a little blue clip on them, just remove these and remove plastic connector, leads will then fit new radio. I have had mine on for over year whithout any issues. Dab radio is great!

I have not actually bought the unit yet. Im finding out how easy it would be to get the DAB to work, dont suppose you have any pictures of the aerial on the window?. Im also trying to find out if i can easily get an aux from the RCD510 and if i buy an armrest with the aux input if i can get it to work with that