Make a donation

Author Topic: Do private sellers and sometimes traders overprice their cars?  (Read 13206 times)

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Do private sellers and sometimes traders overprice their cars?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »
okay so I'll totally ignore the book.Ill spend time watching auto trader like a hawk and seeing how long bongs take to shift.  I must say I love how helpful this forum is.  Its a good community on here!!
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Dw1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »
Autotrader is not the only place; classifieds, this forum, other forums, pistonheads etc.

It also depends how much time you are prepared to spend looking and if you fall for one that ticks the boxes. For me I didn't want to spend months searching as I didn't have the time. I specifically wanted 5 doors, leather throughout, dual climate, heated seats and cdchanger or iPod sub 60k miles. There weren't masses out there that fitted that spec. I narrowly missed out on one priced at 8,750 (it's still advertised on autotrader but is sold) that ticked all the boxes, so when another local to me came up similar in all respects I went for it - it was a decision of the head and the heart. Not the bargain of the century but a reasonable deal at about the fair market price.

If you have very specific reuirements, you have limited time and you fall for one then you're probably prepared to pay that little bit more. Then it's down to your haggling skills and how much you want THAT particular car.

Good luck with your search.

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »
If u get a car for book value or close your doing well! Like mentioned a book can't determine the value of a wide range of cars especially based on spec, mileage & cond. A cars only worth what someone's willing to pay, so in that case I wouldn't say all MKVs are overpriced.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 06:03:11 pm »
Quote from: Dw1
VC - you seem a savvy exception to the rule

ya dam right i am  :pomppomp:

i r unique  :grin:

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »
Quote from: Dw1
VC - you seem a savvy exception to the rule

ya dam right i am  :pomppomp:

i r unique  :grin:

:signLOL:

I must say I'm impressed not sure I'd be able to pull it off!  You certainly know your stuff.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 06:07:47 pm »
In that case i deffo got a good deal on my candy White Ed30 5dr (only saw 2 white 5 doors for sale in the 3-4 months I was looking), I did have to spend £500 on the car tho to get ut upto my std, including 2 new tyres, front splitter repainting and getting a spare key cut, otherwise it was fine.

Yeah my white GTi was up for £9750 and i got it for £8800 but looking around for mileage and spec (bar the bucket seats) I could have got similar spec in silver for £7000. But other white ones at dealers were up over 10000 with poorer spec.

I found golfs were all over the price though. Ranged from like £6500 to £11000 for 2005-2007 models. When year and spec shouldnt really make that much difference. Down to how much someone wants to sell.

I remember a red one awesome spec, well looked after was up for £11000. I offered him 10000, he rejected straight away. 8 weeks later i seen it advertised for 9400.

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 06:12:33 pm »
okay so I'll totally ignore the book.Ill spend time watching auto trader like a hawk and seeing how long bongs take to shift.  I must say I love how helpful this forum is.  Its a good community on here!!

Main advice i would give is think about what you want (spec wise). Read about price etc also.
My main spec was i wanted white or black, without the standard gti seats. Bonus would be sat nav and xenons but no biggy. They can both be retro fitted for around 300-500 each. So bare that in mind when looking at cars with diff spec.

I ended up with a candy white one with tartan bucket seats. Ex demo so every option apart from sat nav n xenons lol.

Big bonus i liked was highline display  :happy2:

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 06:28:49 pm »

Main advice i would give is think about what you want (spec wise). Read about price etc also.
My main spec was i wanted white or black, without the standard gti seats. Bonus would be sat nav and xenons but no biggy. They can both be retro fitted for around 300-500 each. So bare that in mind when looking at cars with diff spec.

I ended up with a candy white one with tartan bucket seats. Ex demo so every option apart from sat nav n xenons lol.

Big bonus i liked was highline display  :happy2:

Thanks for that.  May I ask if you could please give me some pointers as to where I could retrofit OEM xenon headlights? Or who I could contact?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 06:38:13 pm »
It's just a case of keeping an eye on the classified and ebay etc. Fitting is fairly easy. Depending where you are in the world I'd be happy to help you fit as and when!  :happy2:

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »
It's just a case of keeping an eye on the classified and ebay etc. Fitting is fairly easy. Depending where you are in the world I'd be happy to help you fit as and when!  :happy2:

Thanks.  Im based in london.  Where are you based?  Id be willing to travel.  I've seen bits on ebay.  Just don't know what else to buy apart from the headlights.

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »
As everyone has said, with cars like this the book price goes out the window. More so Edition 30's as they were limited run.

I bought mine privately in November.

07 plate Edition 30 3 door, DSG, 47k miles, xenons, parking sensors, cruise, sunroof, ipod, luxury pack, it hasnt got highline or MFSW but will have this week. Full service history from VW and i paid £11500 which i thought was good money being honest!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:41:05 pm by Shorty »
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:23 pm »

Thanks.  Im based in london.  Where are you based?  Id be willing to travel.  I've seen bits on ebay.  Just don't know what else to buy apart from the headlights.

I'm south Birmingham (Solihull) so not a million miles away. Ideally you will need the headlights complete with bulbs, ballasts and igniters and preferably the Kufatec adapter for the main headlight plug!  :happy2:

They will then need coding with VCDS.

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 07:52:03 pm »
Heres how it is
If you are  buying its too dear :laugh: :laugh:
If you are selling its too cheap :laugh: :laugh:
2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »

I'm south Birmingham (Solihull) so not a million miles away. Ideally you will need the headlights complete with bulbs, ballasts and igniters and preferably the Kufatec adapter for the main headlight plug!  :happy2:

They will then need coding with VCDS.

If I were to source all this would you be able to fit the headlights.  I don't see many eddies with xenons.  Im looking at three door silver or grey DSG. Thats the main thing everything else is bonus.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »
Heres how it is
If you are  buying its too dear :laugh: :laugh:
If you are selling its too cheap :laugh: :laugh:

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Wanted to get an idea on figures as people on here seem very well clued up!