Make a donation

Author Topic: Do private sellers and sometimes traders overprice their cars?  (Read 13204 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Do private sellers and sometimes traders overprice their cars?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »
It's just a case of keeping an eye on the classified and ebay etc. Fitting is fairly easy. Depending where you are in the world I'd be happy to help you fit as and when!  :happy2:

Thanks.  Im based in london.  Where are you based?  Id be willing to travel.  I've seen bits on ebay.  Just don't know what else to buy apart from the headlights.

I'm south Birmingham (Solihull) so not a million miles away. Ideally you will need the headlights complete with bulbs, ballasts and igniters and preferably the Kufatec adapter for the main headlight plug!  :happy2:

They will then need coding with VCDS.

If I were to source all this would you be able to fit the headlights.  I don't see many eddies with xenons.  Im looking at three door silver or grey DSG. Thats the main thing everything else is bonus.

Yup I could do that for you!  :happy2:

If you buy from someone on here they will probably sell the complete set. If from ebay etc you may just need the kufatec loom.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »
Quote from: Dw1
VC - you seem a savvy exception to the rule

ya dam right i am  :pomppomp:

i r unique  :grin:

Yup. U r speshul.   :drool:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »
When i advertised my 25th Anniversary in July prices were all over the place, ranging from £4.5k upto £8995. I tried my luck at £7495, but soon lowered it with only one interested party at Inters. Mine was a genune mint example, FVWSH and 72k on the clock. Sold after 5 weeks for £6500, for a nearly 9 year old car, i was pretty happy in the end.

When looking at ED30's you could find a car at £10-11k, but if it didnt have xenons, MFSW, armrest, highline etc.. you could well end up paying out a further £1k to retro-fit. Im very happy with the car i have just bought, silver dsg 5dr, 1 owner from new, FVWSH, xenons, highline, armrest, usb and 42k on the clock. Paid that little more as i found it at a main dealer, so happy to take the  warranty to cover the DSG box and have come back with any issues i may have.

All the best with finding the right one, but you have to be willing to travel. I travelled upto scotland, to Norwich, to South Birmingham, from west yorkshire, to find sheds, only to find one 26 miles away on barnsley  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52:33 pm »
In fact Oli, you won't believe this but the car I was offered by this dealer is actually the one you have in the forsale section lol! Just checked the reg against the pics I got sent!

Haha, yes I did speak to a dealer on the isle of man yesterday. How much did they offer it to you for?  I said they could have it for £12500, you can buy it direct if you want. I can add a platinum RAC warranty onto if you pay for it, I'll only charge what it costs me
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Matty!

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »
Book says my lupos worth £2000, its worth double that easy. they just look at it as a car, not at what it really is!

Offline Ibanezvaio

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 10:59:04 pm »
Hey Oli. They offered it to me for £14,750. It's a great looking car but your price seems more in my budget! He also offered me the chance to get slammed on my trade in lol

I'll reply to your PM-it is 10 posts to view and reply to PMs right?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 11:52:18 pm »
Sellers want the most they can get, buyers want the best bargain - somewhere in the middle ground they must meet, or nothing would ever sell.

There are oddballs, people asking insane money for stuff.... but only for us to laugh at!!

I do like the modder's tax though:

Pick highest priced car out of the Trader and price yours the same, add on cost of all mods to the car at receipt price and 10% "real head turner" tax.
Sideways yo!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:51 am »
A car is worth what someone is prepared to pay, no more, no less!!

:happy2: :wink: :happy2:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline tkboyle

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:15 am »
When i advertised my 25th Anniversary in July prices were all over the place, ranging from £4.5k upto £8995. I tried my luck at £7495, but soon lowered it with only one interested party at Inters. Mine was a genune mint example, FVWSH and 72k on the clock. Sold after 5 weeks for £6500, for a nearly 9 year old car, i was pretty happy in the end.

When looking at ED30's you could find a car at £10-11k, but if it didnt have xenons, MFSW, armrest, highline etc.. you could well end up paying out a further £1k to retro-fit. Im very happy with the car i have just bought, silver dsg 5dr, 1 owner from new, FVWSH, xenons, highline, armrest, usb and 42k on the clock. Paid that little more as i found it at a main dealer, so happy to take the  warranty to cover the DSG box and have come back with any issues i may have.

All the best with finding the right one, but you have to be willing to travel. I travelled upto scotland, to Norwich, to South Birmingham, from west yorkshire, to find sheds, only to find one 26 miles away on barnsley  :signLOL:

That's pretty much how my search went.

You will always pay a premium for main dealer.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:47 pm »
It's just a case of keeping an eye on the classified and ebay etc. Fitting is fairly easy. Depending where you are in the world I'd be happy to help you fit as and when!  :happy2:

Thanks.  Im based in london.  Where are you based?  Id be willing to travel.  I've seen bits on ebay.  Just don't know what else to buy apart from the headlights.

I'm south Birmingham (Solihull) so not a million miles away. Ideally you will need the headlights complete with bulbs, ballasts and igniters and preferably the Kufatec adapter for the main headlight plug!  :happy2:

They will then need coding with VCDS.

If I were to source all this would you be able to fit the headlights.  I don't see many eddies with xenons.  Im looking at three door silver or grey DSG. Thats the main thing everything else is bonus.

Yup I could do that for you!  :happy2:

If you buy from someone on here they will probably sell the complete set. If from ebay etc you may just need the kufatec loom.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
 :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Thanks for that.  Would that include the levelling kit and washers etc?  How would one go about doing the VCDS?  Or do you off a complete solution.  Feel free to PM if need be!

On that note...I've rung up one car today and the trader admitted the history wasn't quite complete.  The other car was sold.   No other car available for me online at the moment.  I don't fancy red or white.  Would love a grey or silver example.  Not particualrly keen on black as I have a black polo.   I'm just going to learn to enjoy looking for the perfect example.  It's all part of the fun!

3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 09:39:08 pm »
I've just fitted my own on and removed a few so know my way round the tricky bits thats all. And I have a VCDS cable.

Levellers and washers are doable but very expensive. Pretty sure Morty (Darren) has done these.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 09:58:14 pm »
I've just fitted my own on and removed a few so know my way round the tricky bits thats all. And I have a VCDS cable.

Levellers and washers are doable but very expensive. Pretty sure Morty (Darren) has done these.

I was concerned come MOT time as levellers and washers are needed with xenon cars due to EU regs.  Would you be willing to do washers and levelers?
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 10:00:57 pm »

I was concerned come MOT time as levellers and washers are needed with xenon cars due to EU regs.  Would you be willing to do washers and levelers?

Wouldn't know where to start fella!

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

Wouldn't know where to start fella!

I may just wait patiently for a xenon example. I may get a 90K example and trade up to an eddie later in the year.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Anyone seen the Red Edition 30 on Fee-pay 07 plate advertised as Low mileage example, its got 67K how is that LOW?  :signLOL:

Poor feedback as well  :scared:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14