Make a donation

Author Topic: Gauges advice please!  (Read 3745 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Gauges advice please!
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:46:45 am »
Hi guys,

I've come across a reasonably priced Milltek sports cat DP. Gonna be adding a cat back and then going stage 2 in a couple of months.

In preparation there are a few thing I wanna do. One of those is add some gauges. I'm thinking boost gauge and oil temp

Where do you think I should mount the gauges? I drive an 8P so we have the round air vents. I can get a mounting kit for those and run the two gauges in the centre vents, or I could buy a column pod. Which do you think I should go for?

If column pod is your fancy, do you know if the 8P and Mk5 have interchangeable column covers because I can only find a dual column pod for the Mk5, but it's not listed as for the 8P. Any help here would be appreciated.

Also gauges wise I've settled on Defi Racer gauges. They look the most OEM to me. Any other suggestions? Should I go 52mm or 60mm? Red backlighting (to match the centre console switches) or white (to match the driver's dials)?

Opinions welcome. It's not a particularly cheap mod so I wanna be sure before I take the plunge! Also any word on how accurate these devices are?

Thanks in advance

S.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Gauges advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »
If you have a highline dash, have you considered a Polar FIS+? You get intake temp, boost pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, etc and it's plug & play.

Very happy with mine :smiley:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »
It's not suitable for the 8P's DIS but thanks for the suggestion :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »
nnnnnneeeeeeewsouth performance = oem look  :happy2:

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/indigo.htm

I have the boost gauge and love it with the steering wheel pod  :party: you can buy them with two holders which would suit your boost and oil setup. I think awsome do a deal or package where you can get them both and the pods for less.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:47:28 pm »

heres a brilliant comparison between column and steering gauges and differences between oem and universal gauges.

those are newsouth gauges on the steering wheel, the ingido ones. they look brilliant at night!

Newsouth is worth every penny imo.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:49:05 pm by nezquick »

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:44 pm »
Newsouth Gauges are a brilliant match to the MK5 dash but certainly aren't the most accurate gauge.

Also in answer to SUB39H's question i believe that the A3 and mk5 columns pods are completely different
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:08:56 pm by Jaywoo-GTI »

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »
I've got the no buzz kit and can't complain about any bad readings. its a mechanical gauge and reads what it should  :innocent: don't know where you've heard about them being inaccurate gauges :confused:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:25:07 pm »
NEZQUICK - I have the same gauge and the problem rises from the fact that 90% of the newsouth gauges do not sit dead on 0 when the car is off and if you tap the front the seem to settle. I was brought to my attention after i wanted to recalibrate the gauge and saw a lot of post on vwvortex forum mentioning the same problem and no one with a real answer to say how to solve it,

I know it is not a one off with mine either as my friends one in his mk4 is exactly the same, Great for a rough guide to showing boost but by no means as accurate as reading it from the ECU which is what i do on VCDS and my Liquid 2 gauge.

SUB39H - In my eyes this would be a awesome gauge in a A3, and is under development at the moment
http://p3cars.com/

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
NEZQUICK - I have the same gauge and the problem rises from the fact that 90% of the newsouth gauges do not sit dead on 0 when the car is off and if you tap the front the seem to settle. I was brought to my attention after i wanted to recalibrate the gauge and saw a lot of post on vwvortex forum mentioning the same problem and no one with a real answer to say how to solve it,

I know it is not a one off with mine either as my friends one in his mk4 is exactly the same, Great for a rough guide to showing boost but by no means as accurate as reading it from the ECU which is what i do on VCDS and my Liquid 2 gauge.

SUB39H - In my eyes this would be a awesome gauge in a A3, and is under development at the moment

hmm, mine sites dead on 0 so guess an unlucky few customers. you can always recalibrate like you said, when you said unaccurate I presumed you meant it woudn't display accurate boost readings when it is technically reading and displaying accurate readings only the needle isn't in the right place.

recalibrate the boost gauge and you have an accurate gauge again  :happy2: you're also in your right to request a new gauge if your not happy with it.  if you havn't found a solution or how to theres a guide here http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:42:00 pm »
I was going to add 2 gauges fitted inside the Osir dual pod enclosure above the ash tray in my Rocco R. i forget the brand of the gauges, they're Japanese but looked amazing. Unfortunately, the current exchange rate means they are hellishly expensive so I put the idea on hold :sad1:
Candy

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:45:10 pm »
plus i can't see how 90% of newsouth performance boost gauges are not working properly because they would have to of recalled or they would have failed to become one of the market leaders, perhaps 40% but its like any product production, you can't send out thousands of your products if you know that only 10 in every 100 are working spot on you'd be out of business before you knew it surely?

just my opinion, but then my gauge is fine  :happy2:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »

p.s that is one slick looking gauge  :drool:

but $389 is a tad expensive  :sad1:

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:09 pm »
I was going to add 2 gauges fitted inside the Osir dual pod enclosure above the ash tray in my Rocco R. i forget the brand of the gauges, they're Japanese but looked amazing. Unfortunately, the current exchange rate means they are hellishly expensive so I put the idea on hold :sad1:

Yeah i've seen those console pods and IMO are a little less in your face than the coloumn pod type which look great at night all lit up but not so great in day light as the pod isn't the same colour or texture as the standard trim ..... here's a link to the newsouth version  :happy2:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=39176&xSec=153

Dave

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »

hmm, mine sites dead on 0 so guess an unlucky few customers. you can always recalibrate like you said, when you said unaccurate I presumed you meant it woudn't display accurate boost readings when it is technically reading and displaying accurate readings only the needle isn't in the right place.

recalibrate the boost gauge and you have an accurate gauge again  :happy2: you're also in your right to request a new gauge if your not happy with it.  if you havn't found a solution or how to theres a guide here http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467

Already done that before i installed it mate but after it being in the car for over a year its doesn't sit at zero again, Not complaining about it as i still love the gauge for it OEM feel but was merely adding there are more accurate gauges on the market.

Not having a personal dig just sharing what i have seen and read about people getting the same problem,

Also they have no need to recall it as it is not a meter used for measuring (its purely for reference) otherwise it would come with a calibration certificate.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:55:16 pm by Jaywoo-GTI »