Make a donation

Author Topic: Cooler level sensor  (Read 1213 times)

Offline drexel75

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Cooler level sensor
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »
Had the STOP! Check coolant level warning yesterday. Checked the level and it was ok but right on the minimum line so I topped up to almost the max. The warning still comes on but goes out if you turn the ignition off and restart. I read that the sensor may be faulty. Am I right in saying that this sensor is integrated into the expansion tank? How difficult is replacing the expansion tank? Thanks for any help.

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Cooler level sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:20:05 pm »
Yes indeed it is inside the tank, they are prone to failing and are a doddle to replace, they can be replaced in around half an hour depending on competence.

Offline drexel75

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:16:58 pm »
Tank changed. Dead easy. Only cost £17 for genuine expansion tank so was well chuffed. No more coolant warnings.

Offline Matt_greig

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »
I have the same problem, where did you get the tank from? VW dealer? Do you have the part number for it?
Also, how easy was it to change? Did you have to drain the coolant first?

Thanks, Matt.

Offline drexel75

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 06:16:50 pm »
Got the new tank from the main VW dealer. Unscrew 2 Torx screws holding the tank on. Take off sensor attachment and remove the two hoses. I used a pair of pliers to slacken the hose clip. You will lose the coolant that is in the tank but after you have reattached everything it should only take about 750ml to top the coolant up to the recommended level.
Dead easy and only took me about twenty minutes, spent longer trying to find the Torx screw that I dropped  :ashamed: