Make a donation

Author Topic: Remap is to be an MOT failure??  (Read 5680 times)

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: Remap is to be an MOT failure??
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:27:16 am »
HIDS are fine in PROJECTOR headlamps, but illegal as you'll need self adjustments / washer.

Its the people who put them in reflector lamps which just scatters across the road and into your EYES! :fighting:
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:19 am »
I hear what your saying though, badly fitted HID's fitted in a Corsa with with reflector headlights (not using reflector HID's) are a big problem.  I thought I was going to have to remove mine 'permanently' as of now due new rules, but they have been relaxed, so now if you have after market HID's fitted you don't have to have washers or self levelling - if you have got those however they must work!  

So what is the score with these, Am I right in thinking that you cannot put them in standard OEM lights but you can in the lights that have the dome shape bulb housing, are they projectors?

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:49:40 am »
So what is the score with these, Am I right in thinking that you cannot put them in standard OEM lights but you can in the lights that have the dome shape bulb housing, are they projectors?

Correct, however youll need to have self levelling adjusters and i believe washer jets. So for the people who are fitting these "Hella" lamps because there car didnt come factory with them they illegal to use. However Police wont pull you over for them, just MOT might do pick it up.

- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 03:16:29 pm »
Wrong!!  A recent change in the law states that IF self levellers and washers are fitted to a vehicle whether it be factory xenons or aftermaket HID's, the requirement for a UK MOT and legality is that these work.  They do not have to be fitted to make the HID's legal!  They can also be fitted in reflector headlights but you must have a H7R for the Golf as an example, as these bulbs have a coating running across the top of the bulb to stop dazzle.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38196.msg455640.html#msg455640

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html