Make a donation

Author Topic: do you ................................  (Read 6651 times)

Nasir

Re: do you ................................
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 01:34:08 am »
I think cars jump in front of HGVs due to the pre-assumption  they'll go very slowly.

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 02:40:16 am »
Yeh lets not pretend all HGV drivers are saints!! 

I'm sure truck drivers see all sorts of terrible driving and drivers and people don't realise how long it would take to stop one of them rascals............. but I do see some questionable driving from HGV drivers, I know they need to keep momentum up etc but putting the indicator on does not automatically create a space for them to pull into, but it doesn't stop them pulling out :smiley:

O and lets not forget the truck going 0.1mph faster than the other overtaking on a dual carriageway  :laugh:

i do my utmost to try and drive courteously for HGV drivers. i know it takes a long time for you to build up speed again. but THIS winds me up no end. the vast majority of HGV drivers don't seem to show much courtesy near where i live either and the number of times i've seen lorry drivers try and overtake on the dual carriageways near where i live just to realise they can't and then pull back in all the while creating a big line of traffic behind them winds me up.

don't mean to have a go, but it's no different to a BMW (or any other make) driver pulling out in front of you. being discourteous is being discourteous so it's a little hard to take sides with HGV drivers when some of them are as bad as car drivers.

on a lighter note:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:45:37 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

hugh jass

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:43 am »
 :signLOL: Is he still driving :signLOL:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 09:00:10 am »
Going back to the original question. Is it perhaps Sat Navs giving late instructions for junctions , had it with mine .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 09:27:56 am »
50mph zones and trucks for tailgaiting/speeding can be bad, as some leave the cruise at 56mph as they reckon they won't get done. See it alot in te average speed cameras on the m25 and round the north circular. On the motorways it always seems to be te Irish or foreigners (not trying to stereotype here) toeing it to Dover for the ferry and on the north circ and a13 seems to be the tipper driver mob who seem to want to be everywhere yesterday.

There's a percentage of every vehicle type on the road that give them a bad name, can say similar stuff for bikes, 4x4, prestige motors, trucks, coaches etc all have their bunch of idiots who shouldn't have been given a license and ones who drive as you should.

But back on topic, as for lorry's overtaking on dual carriageways I bet any money the truck being overtaken is a supermarket truck as by law they have to go at least 10mph under the speed limit to get their hours in :signLOL:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 05:56:43 pm »
if the hgv has nt got english plates i stay well away , them lot are all crazy  :laugh:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 06:18:36 pm »
if the hgv has nt got english plates i stay well away , them lot are all crazy  :laugh:
Yeah I agree, truckers in Europe :scared:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »
I think there needs to be significant reform in the way people are taught to drive. Motorway lessons (and a test) should be compulsory. It beggars belief that kids spend endless hours learning how to reverse into a car parking space, yet they don't receive any instruction on how to drive a car at speed safely, and more importantly, be aware of the things around you.

For instance, you should have to spend time on an airfield learning how to handle a car if you need to make a very sudden change of direction.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »
I think there needs to be significant reform in the way people are taught to drive. Motorway lessons (and a test) should be compulsory. It beggars belief that kids spend endless hours learning how to reverse into a car parking space, yet they don't receive any instruction on how to drive a car at speed safely, and more importantly, be aware of the things around you.

For instance, you should have to spend time on an airfield learning how to handle a car if you need to make a very sudden change of direction.

But in driving lessons you don't get taught how to drive, you get taught how to pass a test and that is where the problem lies with anything to do with tests to do with anything of a practical nature.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:16 pm »
Maybe some sort of pass plus should be compulsory? Maybe break things up into: theory, driving, advance driving tests?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »
Maybe some sort of pass plus should be compulsory? Maybe break things up into: theory, driving, advance driving tests?

I done pass plus when I passed nearly 8years ago but only done it to drop my insurance costs. I think there should be a 2 part driving test like motorbikes have for the full license and you don't get your license until both parts are passed. So part 1 is the basics, understanding other vehicle types, around town and possibly A roads and then the second part is Motorways, major junctions. Or something like that anyways

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »

But in driving lessons you don't get taught how to drive, you get taught how to pass a test and that is where the problem lies with anything to do with tests to do with anything of a practical nature.

Yeah, I agree completely.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:11 pm »
I would argue that you should have a minimum amount of hours driving before moving on to advanced driving eg three months after passing the standard driving test. The advanced test could be done in your own car.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Naeem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:53 am »
Why do HGV drivers always undertake  :scared: ?

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:36 am »
Why do HGV drivers always undertake  :scared: ?

Generally because SOME car drivers do not believe the inside lane is for car use even when it's clear, they are quite happy to hover around 50-55mph in the middle lane being a nuisance to all other road users. As for it being undertaking, I don't see it as that, if I am in the inside lane and it's clear I am going with the flow of traffic.