Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto rear wiper interfering with a bike rack?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline m4t_lee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 0
Auto rear wiper interfering with a bike rack?
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:50 pm »
Just about to buy a bike rack, looking at the saris bones 3 which look kinda cool, had a thought tho that if i have the bikes on the back and i reverse the rear wiper will come one and something nasty will happen, anyone any ideas on this?

Regards,

Mat
06 Shadow Blue GTI

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Auto rear wiper interfering with a bike rack?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:20 pm »
dont have the wipers on auto when you have the bike rack on  :happy2:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline m4t_lee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:54 am »
Ah is that me being stupid then, so am I right in saying that the rear wiper will only automatically come on when reversing when the auto wipers are enabled?
Doh!!!!!!
06 Shadow Blue GTI

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:21 am »
Ah is that me being stupid then?

Yes  :signLOL: Only kidding. You are right in what you say. With the wipers in auto the rear wiper will only wipe when you put it in reverse. And thats only if the sensor is picking up rain on the windscreen. Apart from that it will only work when you push the wiper stalk forward  :happy2:

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:42 am »
I have had a Saris Bones bike rack for a long time now and although a great bike rack it does tend to scuff the bumper when in use even with rags placed between the rack and the bumper....

Personally i wouldnt buy another bumper mounted rack for this reason,Roof bars are the way forward..

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:06:47 am »
If you only have the one bike just get a tarp, put the seats down and heave it in the back with the front wheel off.  More secure and little chance of damage to your paintwork.  Two bikes would probably fit but it would get awkward taking the one on top in and out. 
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline NHN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 04:44:27 pm »
There was a coding option for the rear wipe when engaging reverse, didnt neccessarily make it relevant specifically to auto wipers fitted, of course last time I saw this was on an 8P so you'd have to do some research.

Personally if you're a very keen rider, then could fit a removable towbar so its hidden when not in use, which then hang the Thule on, which is what I have done to my A3 , doesnt even touch the boot lid & sturdy as Ayres Rock.
VAGCOM GENUINE SELLER

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:15:35 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33526.msg410513.html#msg410513

If anyone is looking for a rear rack for their GTI....

I use a few strips of Helicopter Tape, or cycle frame tape to mask off any contact areas and no scuffs, no scratches :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
the rear wiper will also activate if the front wipers are in 'intermittent' and not just in 'auto'....
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline NHN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:25 pm »
This is also true if coded too.
VAGCOM GENUINE SELLER

Offline m4t_lee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »
We have just chucked em in the back in the past but there is me and the two kids so a pain to fit them all in, used to have Thule prorides too which were great but sold the wife's Audi with the roof rails and didn't feel like getting bars for the golf as I thought they would also scratch the paint.
What's helicopter tape and where do I get it from, sounds like a good idea?
06 Shadow Blue GTI

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:16:44 pm »
Just google it. Not cheap (used for protecting the leading edge of rotor blades) but very useful stuff :happy2: Always get the genuine 3M stuff

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1250&p=16495&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Tapes%C2%A0&%C2%A0Adhesives
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:19:42 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)