Make a donation

Author Topic: Why are there no true sports convertibles sub £20k with decent engines????  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
I was thinking about a change and this has to be a serious gap in the market?????? Needs to be fairly new so nothing pre 2006 and practical(ish) for every day use.

I can think of perhaps 2 or 3 good looking convertibles with decent good sounding engines available 2nd hand for sub 20k

1) Boxster (cons its a Boxster)

2) TVR Tamora (cons its going to break, a lot...)

3) Lotus Elise (cons its not a decent engine, K series or Toyota)

Surely it isnt too hard to make an MX5 type motor with a small straight six in it etc

Closest I have come to is the new BMW Z4 but they are bang on £20k and  from the reviews I have read don't sound that dynamically great.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:59:53 pm by Leonard »

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
i think there's probably a gap in the market for a reason: car companies are there to make as much money as possible and in this country a small 6cyl roadster wouldn't sell or there would be loads of them.

also you've gotta remember the trend towards downsizing and forced induction for emissions/tax purposes.

the SLK350 is a nice little car, and the Mk2 isn't as girly as the first one. my sister has one and i've got no problems driving it around (which i probably would do in an MX5). i'm sure you could pick up a decent one of those now for less than £20k now a new model is out.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
i think there's probably a gap in the market for a reason: car companies are there to make as much money as possible and in this country a small 6cyl roadster wouldn't sell or there would be loads of them.

also you've gotta remember the trend towards downsizing and forced induction for emissions/tax purposes.

the SLK350 is a nice little car, and the Mk2 isn't as girly as the first one. my sister has one and i've got no problems driving it around (which i probably would do in an MX5). i'm sure you could pick up a decent one of those now for less than £20k now a new model is out.

Did consider the SLK but it IS a little bit too girly for me Im afraid  :signLOL:

I dont see why it wouldnt sell though? You can get over 40mpg out of a modern V6 and surely has to be more desirable proposition than a boring 4cyl, even if it cost 3k more

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84

Did consider the SLK but it IS a little bit too girly for me Im afraid  :signLOL:

I dont see why it wouldnt sell though? You can get over 40mpg out of a modern V6 and surely has to be more desirable proposition than a boring 4cyl, even if it cost 3k more

yeah but in Europe our testing procedures for emissions favour hybrids and turbos. in reality they're not as efficient as they're purported to be, but a 4cyl turbo will win out in testing vs a V6, and the vast majority of people aren't as into their cars are people like us are so that extra £100 in tax every year, potential increase in insurance etc. makes cars less appealing.

at the end of the day if there was money to be made in that market there would be a car for it. simples. think about it, even Audi's dropped it's 3.2. the new 3-Series only has a twin turbo inline 6 at the top of the range and everything else is 4cyl (with or without turbo). the era of the V6 is gone i think.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
If you want a drop top Porsche, then the Boxster is the one to have - I don't know why people have it in for them, they're absolutely superb. If you buy a convertible 911, you've bought the wrong car.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:11:43 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Yes both valid points guy's, unfortunately lol

Anyone owned a Boxster?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
Had one for a while on loan, decided I preferred the Cayman. I'm too ugly for a droptop. I would however mask up for a Spyder.

I couldn't fault it, but then I didn't really deal with winter or all the other crap you forget about when deciding on a car.
Sideways yo!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Honda S2000.......

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
i had 2.5 si z4 , lovely car , 3.0 is suppose to be better  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:41:09 pm by candy turbo »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
Yep. ^

Although you'd easily get into a Z4M too, which is faaar better.

350/370Z....??

Curveball supercharged MX5?? 235bhp in something the same weight as a shoe and a fantastic chassis.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:44:59 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Cheers guy's

Looked at S2000 nice car, but VTEC didnt really do it for me.

Z4 is interesting, but would have to be new style and they are 20k (would prefer to spend 15k) Your Z4 on the BBS looks well!

Nissan, dont really think the 370Z works as a convertible and 350 is a bit old now

Had an MX5 and really liked it, supercharged would be 'exciting'! However been there and done that.

Would consider the Boxster but big bills are a bit if a worry. My mum used to have a porker and lets just say that Porsche do a great job of hyping up the renowned reliability and great customer service.....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:36:13 pm by Leonard »

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Never mind the engine in the Lotus...its just not prectical for day to day use along with a TVR.

I've driven the Cayman and thats brilliant, I would take that over the Boxster if you can live with a hard top. Im not a fan of convertibles anyway. I just tend to think 'tw@t' when ever I see someone with the roof down.

3.2 TT?

Saw a guy moving some planks in his convertible the other day and it was absolutely pi$$ing it down  :signLOL:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email

I've driven the Cayman and thats brilliant, I would take that over the Boxster if you can live with a hard top. Im not a fan of convertibles anyway. I just tend to think 'tw@t' when ever I see someone with the roof down.

I thought same until I had one and then just didnt care what people thought! Blatting along country lanes with roof off at midnight stars shining and engine note bouncing off dry stone walls was epic  :ashamed:

Not convinced by TT and 3.2 is bit similar to my Corrado VR (engine wise)

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Not a true 'sports car' as in 2 seats, but how about a 135i convertible. Go drive a 135i and try not to spend the next 3 weeks looking on autotrader for one!

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
My dad had an early 2.5 bxster which my girlfriends dad now owns. It i a truely excellent car, if it ever comes back up for sale i will buy it. Great noise, great handling and i think it looks good to  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:26:22 pm by bendy »