Make a donation

Author Topic: Volkswagen Driver mag - Manual v DSG figures  (Read 8556 times)

Offline JimmyMature

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Volkswagen Driver mag - Manual v DSG figures
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »

LMFAO.

I normally reside on GolfGTI.co.uk and a DSG/Manual thread appeared last week. But it wasn't a dignified as this thread, it quickly turned into if you have DSG you're not a real man....

I have DSG in my current car but won't get it again as I feel I can't control the gears well enough in normal road driving, I want to pull in 5th but instead the DSG says "sod that, surely you want me to bang it down into third"

that's why there's a manual mode. pull the left hand paddle once (if you're in 6th) and if you don't activate the kickdown it won't change gear for you, even if you put your foot right down. it'll stay in 5th as you want it to

The problem with this solution is that you have to put it in a gear you don't want before you can pull and that means the car isn't doing what I want.

I know you can push the stick over to manual but I don't always do it.

85% of the time I like DSG but I won't be getting one again when the GTI gets replaced.

Jim
MK6 GTI | DSG | Leather | Cruise Control | 18 Monza Shadow | Reversing Camera | Smoked LED Rears | RNS510C | Parking Sensors Front & Rear | R Mirror Covers | Reflex Silver | Bluefin |

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »

I have DSG in my current car but won't get it again as I feel I can't control the gears well enough in normal road driving, I want to pull in 5th but instead the DSG says "sod that, surely you want me to bang it down into third"

To summarise this then.  

If you had a manual with big power you would destroy clutches.

High gear low revs accelerations (which result in long periods of peak torque being applied tohe clutch) result in worn clutches.  You SHOULD change down a gear to raise the revs up and let the power pull you through.

Torque kills clutches not power.

This is exactly why the DSG ignores what you are doing because you are wrong and potentially going to cause excessive wear on the clutch packs and changes down to protect them.

Offline JimmyMature

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »

To summarise this then.  

If you had a manual with big power you would destroy clutches.

High gear low revs accelerations (which result in long periods of peak torque being applied tohe clutch) result in worn clutches.  You SHOULD change down a gear to raise the revs up and let the power pull you through.

Torque kills clutches not power.

This is exactly why the DSG ignores what you are doing because you are wrong and potentially going to cause excessive wear on the clutch packs and changes down to protect them.

I agree that what DSG does is the optimal way, but it's too mental for me. My car is remapped and kicking it down into third the car just takes off.

I've driven the car around today in manual mode and preferred it but still all the benefits of the DSG quick shifting.

Jim
MK6 GTI | DSG | Leather | Cruise Control | 18 Monza Shadow | Reversing Camera | Smoked LED Rears | RNS510C | Parking Sensors Front & Rear | R Mirror Covers | Reflex Silver | Bluefin |