Make a donation

Author Topic: do you ................................  (Read 6645 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: do you ................................
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 09:40:43 am »
Just seen this thread...silly question, of course I do it!! In fact, I do it every day!!  :grin: :innocent: The BMW handbook told me to do it..... :scared:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Naeem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »
Why do HGV drivers always undertake  :scared: ?

Generally because SOME car drivers do not believe the inside lane is for car use even when it's clear, they are quite happy to hover around 50-55mph in the middle lane being a nuisance to all other road users. As for it being undertaking, I don't see it as that, if I am in the inside lane and it's clear I am going with the flow of traffic.

I got 3 points for undertaking  :scared:

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »

Generally because SOME car drivers do not believe the inside lane is for car use even when it's clear, they are quite happy to hover around 50-55mph in the middle lane being a nuisance to all other road users. As for it being undertaking, I don't see it as that, if I am in the inside lane and it's clear I am going with the flow of traffic.

To add to that if you are in a car doing less than 56mph on a motorway in the middle lane with a clear lane to your left then WTF are you playing at?  :stupid:
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »
+1. One of my biggest bugbears. I've seen people do 60mph in the outside lane of a clear motorway. WTF?!?!  :stupid:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »
+1. One of my biggest bugbears. I've seen people do 60mph in the outside lane of a clear motorway. WTF?!?!  :stupid:

I've had someone doing 50mph on a duel carriageway and was in the van. Nothing on te inside lane and she was sat in the outside. I don't undertake, so I left a over a cars length between me and her and after 800yards she pulled in. Thought happy days can get going now but then her window went down and she stuck her finger up and was shouting abuse at me, to which I just laughed and carried on, but the whole time I was passing she never looked in front of her once

There was one of them grumpy old program's on the other month but with celebs of both sexes and it was about driving. I ended up turning it off as they was winding me up trying to justify not sticking to lane discipline etc saying none of its law even tho it's all in the highway code.. Rant over lol

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:53 pm »

To add to that if you are in a car doing less than 56mph on a motorway in the middle lane with a clear lane to your left then WTF are you playing at?  :stupid:

you would be surprised at the amount of people that drive at 50-55mph in the middle lane, you would notice them more if you were in a HGV as when you are in a car you just overtake and carry on. you see some people and as soon as they join the motorway, they go straight into the middle lane and wont move out of it until they are leaving the motorway :stupid:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »
i've seen a traffic copper pull someone over for middle lane driving recently on the M6. hopefully there will be more of this. middle lane driving effectively reduces a 3 lane carriageway into 2 lanes, so the 80mph increase won't be anywhere near as effective as actually punishing middle lane drivers with a points and/or a fine. simple flow dynamics - 2 lanes at 80mph won't be as efficient as 3 lanes at 70mph
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 06:34:17 pm »
With regards to the 'elephant racing' on dual carriageways, 95% of HGV drivers fail to remember its a 50mph limt on dual carriageways and drive on their speed limiters (its 60 on motorways, but obviously they're restricted to 56mph or 90km/h by european law). I always sit at 50mph on dual carriageways, partly because its law, partly because were satelite tracked 24/7 but mainly as it gives me chance to pass slower vehicles with ease, by briefly speeding up to 56 to get by.