Make a donation

Author Topic: My 330mm brake conversion - all on!  (Read 8480 times)

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: My 330mm brake conversion - work in progress - carriers made
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »
Thanks for that Dave, means a lot coming from the brake daddy!

I am a little concerned about the spacer that I will need to clear them, especially as I have some TT arms to go on which as we all know push the lot out even further..... :confused:  We will see!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:34:02 pm by jimk04 »

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: My 330mm brake conversion - work in progress - discs now coated
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 02:23:09 pm »
Quick update

Bagged these off ebay for £33! Should be fine for me.

Also been measuring up for adaptor brackets - disc here is in the zinc primer stage!

And one finished disc after a coat of VHT aluminium and a bake in the oven at 200deg C!

I have ordered the pad wear sensors - interestingly, the earlier type of sensor has the correct plug to fit straight onto the mk5 loom, but the later pin type that I need have a different plug, which will need chopping off and a new one soldering on.

Also been looking into the flexi hoses. To save some money I may use some off the shelf rubber ones, as the R32 and some Touerag have the requisite M10 banjo fitting and seem to be a suitable overall length.

Hopefully the calipers will show early this week!

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »
Hi Jim,

Great to see someone doing a DIY brake kit, kind of thing I spend hours thinking up/building. Can I ask what you do for a job? Guess you are in automotive / engineering trade?

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:37:13 pm »
Errr.....I'm a gardener/estate keeper! :grin:

I have always been into serious DIY car stuff tho and did engineering HNC at college many moons ago!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »
Jim before you make them look too pretty, drill yourself a M6 countersunk hole at 36 degrees if you know what I mean, you also need to countersink it.

also just check the bolt holes and make sure they M14 I think when I looked at it they were M12 and needed drilling out.

Got some used HEL lines here off an PX kit you can have they just need a clean up

Regarding the carriers, don't forget you'll be mounting these from the back I guess that's to say the bolt might well be pointing towards the engine as opposed to the other way. Of course you have S3 hubs so there's another 16mm to find so it's going to be a fairly large bracket. Might be worthwhile having your machine shop have a carve at a lump of aluminium first for mocking up purposes refining the measurements and then beefing it up in aluminium you end up making three carriers but Ali is cheap and 60% ofthe time to machine

if you bought cayenne rear pads then you'll be able to find a suitable wear sensor from a tourag, the rear pads from a 4x4 might not perform as well as dedicated Porsche fronts....the weights on top of the pad make me think they're cayenne rears, 996 fronts don't have the weights and use pad dampeners which are the same as cayman s ones which are cheaper.

All looking good though.....missed your last Pm, hoses are FOC, get in touch you've got me mobi

Edit you need M10x1 swivel fitting NOT banjo for 996 fronts
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:21:15 pm by DaveB1970 »

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »
Cheers for the input again Dave. Pads are definitely 996/boxster s fronts. States on the box and they were sealed.

My bad RE- banjo fitting. Guess it would have soon become obvious when I actually get my calipers!.

May well take up your offer on the flexis. Will sort you out....also did you get my pm re bracket price/drawing?

Thanks

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »
Jim

My carriers and the ones on ebay are GTI versions and NOT S3 brackets, they are quite different, Im almost certain you'll need to point the carrier from in to out so it will be a wide bracket thats for sure.

So you're pioneering!

I've got a NQSBBK caliper carrier attached to Mike TFSI's old calipers, thats derived for the boxster front but the centres are all the same at 130mm for the calipers, ask him to send you a pic of it for some inspiration, from memory the lugs to attach to the S3 hub need to be a peculiar shape to miss some part of the casting. The boxster caliper is narrower than the 996 so that means that means the holes for the calipers will be different

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:01 pm »
Jim

My carriers and the ones on ebay are GTI versions and NOT S3 brackets, they are quite different, Im almost certain you'll need to point the carrier from in to out so it will be a wide bracket thats for sure.

So you're pioneering!

I've got a NQSBBK caliper carrier attached to Mike TFSI's old calipers, thats derived for the boxster front but the centres are all the same at 130mm for the calipers, ask him to send you a pic of it for some inspiration, from memory the lugs to attach to the S3 hub need to be a peculiar shape to miss some part of the casting. The boxster caliper is narrower than the 996 so that means that means the holes for the calipers will be different

Remind me tomo jim and I'll take a couple of pics of the brackets 07935089 441

Respect to you buddy

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »
Well a small update people - not done a huge amount with this recently.

But I have some calipers.....ugly ass things they are too.

It gets worse!

Been a bit warm this one, melted the rubber around the bleed nips, and smoke stain galore.... :surprised:

Luckily though - on removing the pistons there is no damage to the seals at all - all is well. I just damaged one dust seal removing them tho. All pistons moved freely which is nice.

I offered up a caliper just to keep my enthusiasm going!

Discs now drilled to clear M14 lugs, and for the disc retaining screw - although the latter took me a few attempts to line up... :ashamed:!

Dropping it all off at the machine shop tomorrow hopefully if my carrier and caliper bolts come from TPS. See if they cant knock something up without a drawing....I havent had time yet to CAD it up.

Will be on with caliper renovation soon I guess, need one dust seal, bleed nips/rubbers, and pad fitting kit.

Oh yeah I also got some 'AMG' decals, thought it would be a change from the usual 'Porsche' - and also a nod to the origin of my discs! I may concede tho and stick some porker ones on!!

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: My 330mm brake conversion - work in progress - got calipers now!
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »
update folks

Carrier is mocked up and seems pretty good - but it just needs to pull the caliper in about 3 or 4mm more as the pad is just overhanging a tadge. It was one thing I said to the machine shop that was critical but hey ho, they didnt charge me much at all.

You can see we did them mounting from the front so atleast you can get to the bolts with the disc on...not sure it this means they will fit the GTI hub aswell as the ally hubs...cant remember what Ive read about this!!

Had a play with a wheel and it looks like 12mm is the wheel spacer requirement....hopefully as that is what I have just ordered! My only concern is if 12mm spacer will work with the TT arms. May be too much.

Had a scary moment with a caliper today swapping the lines over, one had quite a bit of dissimilar metal corrosion and the M10 fitting has dragged some of the ally tread with it, but I think I have just gotten away with it... :ashamed: :scared:

:happy2:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: My 330mm brake conversion - work in progress - carriers prototyped
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »
Do you want my M10x1 tap sending as well!

Ok couple of comments if that is helicoiled Ali and I think I'm right in saying you need to take 3-4mm off the top surface then either use m12 x1.25 helicoils and bolts or convert to steel

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:00 pm »
M10x1 all sorted Dave thanks!

I am having the calipers machined down instead of the carriers - I didnt think there was enough meat left either!

Interestingly having looked at pics of 996TT calipers - they seem to be machined down a bit like what I am about to do. :popcornsoda:

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »
Spacers are on aswell BTW. Not a massive difference in terms of looks and handling so thats all good.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email