Make a donation

Author Topic: K04 with standard cat back.  (Read 2004 times)

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
K04 with standard cat back.
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:18:19 pm »
Are there many of you on here running stage 2+ software on a k04 with a 3" DP and standard cat back?
What sort of power are you making and should I expect more power if I bought a cat back system to go with my planned k04 conversion?
Dyno graphs welcome  :happy2:
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
Re: K04 with standard cat back.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:23:57 pm »
Revo 2+ software with decat and std cat-back.

No problems with power but my seat exhaust has started to rattle. Thats not unusual on std cupras though as the exhausts are tosh

GOLF R Mk7

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35:36 pm »

Wow, great numbers but that fueling is quite rich. 
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:41:27 pm »
Yeah fuel 4 is not so common but the car was set up on the rolling road by Dave @ PDT and he spent a couple of hours getting it bang-on. Im quite confident the car is set up spot on  :happy2:
GOLF R Mk7

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:47:56 pm »
Yeah fuel 4 is not so common but the car was set up on the rolling road by Dave @ PDT and he spent a couple of hours getting it bang-on. Im quite confident the car is set up spot on  :happy2:

Not trying to hijack the thread but is yours a k04 conversion?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:49:25 pm »
Jon has a cupra

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »
Yep its a Cupra with Decat std exhaust, Autotech internals and BSH intake with std Maf section. Minimal mods so needless to say im very happy with the power figures
GOLF R Mk7

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:01:57 pm »
better running rich than lean on these engines. Things can go pop if running lean

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »
better running rich than lean on these engines. Things can go pop if running lean

Problem with running too rich is petrol dilution of the oil that can lead to pre-ignition and less protection for the cylinder walls.

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:16:03 pm »
That's very good power Jon, why was the run in 3rd gear? maybe I won't need the cat back after all  :smiley:
I recently read on Golfmkv.com that you will lose a little power by not having a larger diameter cat back but who knows.....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:19:13 pm by martziniuk »
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:01 am »

Problem with running too rich is petrol dilution of the oil that can lead to pre-ignition and less protection for the cylinder walls.

Think you are trying to describe "bore wash" which would only happen if the engine is running very rich such as 9:1 afr. Bore wash and oil being diluted by petrol wont cause pre-ignition. Main cause for bore wash is people flooding their engine trying to start it, not common with modern engines.

Revo settings cant show how rich/lean an engine is running, this can only be measured by analysing the exhausted gasses to see the ratio of oxygen vs unburned fuel.

Then you need to take EGT (exhaust gas temp) into account, this is a far more important factor than AFR. Your AFR may be 11.5:1 under load but EGT may be high so you would richen the fuelling to bring the AFR and EGT down.

Then there is ignition advance, this will alter EGT and AFR. The earlier you ignite the inlet charge (the more advanced your ignition is) in the combustion cycle, the more complete burn you should get. So if you have rich AFR's you can actually get these to appear leaner by adding ignition advance. Add too much advance and you ignite the inlet charge as the piston is still travelling up the bore, crank is pushing it up, combustion is pushing it down, piston has nowhere to go so it rattles from side to side against the walls of the bore and causes 'knock' which is detected by the knock sensors and the ecu removes the timing advance to a safer level. If your timing is too late you will not get a complete burn and less power is made, the combustion happens when the piston is on its way back down the bore and you have missed the window of opportuninty to push  that piston down with the force of the combustion. This also raises EGT's.

So when you see someone post their Revo settings online and they have a fuelling of 4, this actually means very little in the context of how rich or lean the engine is running.  :wink: