Make a donation

Author Topic: AV Geeks - Advice please, flat cable  (Read 611 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
AV Geeks - Advice please, flat cable
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »

47" LED is en route to replace 50" plasma in livingh room

37" LED is in the bedroom

Question is; Does the flat satallite cable for routing through windows have a negative effect on the signal??

Is so will probably just drill through the wall.

TIA  :drinking: :drinking:

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
Re: AV Geeks - Advice please, flat cable
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:38 pm »
Hole through the wall is always best. Every joint represents a loss of signal strength, and a way for moisture to get into the cable run.

Don't forget to loop the cable before it goes into the wall (imagine a U shape flat on the wall) so that any moisture that runs down the cable drips off the bottom, rather than into the hole.

'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »
Hole through the wall is always best. Every joint represents a loss of signal strength, and a way for moisture to get into the cable run.

Don't forget to loop the cable before it goes into the wall (imagine a U shape flat on the wall) so that any moisture that runs down the cable drips off the bottom, rather than into the hole.

Thanks for the tip  :happy2:

I have a resistor for the no4 unused output on the lnb to help prevent signal loss

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:55:52 pm »
If you've got cable to spare, run a cable from the 4th socket into the loft or wherever, leave plenty of spare cable coiled up and then put the terminator on the end (you'll need an F-type plug and a coupler on the end of the cable of course). That way you've got the 4th feed ready if you need it in future. If not, then if the terminator goes duff (and they do sometimes) it's a damn sight easier to change....
'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)