Make a donation

Author Topic: heating issue  (Read 1569 times)

Offline paulgrant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
heating issue
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:20 pm »
i asked this over on seatcupra.net but not having much luck

seem to have a strange heating issue. car warms up as usall no problems nice hot air  then after around an hour of driving all of a sudden it goes cold. after another 10-15 mins it got hot again. im guessing i could have some air in the coolant system? anyone had this before?

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: heating issue
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:08:37 am »
Based on problems with previous cars, I had this when the head gasket was away in my mgzr 1.4   :scared: but yeah, could be something like air in the heating circuit or a problem with the heating matrix/control valve..
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline paulgrant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »
anyone else?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:03:26 pm »
i asked this over on seatcupra.net but not having much luck

seem to have a strange heating issue. car warms up as usall no problems nice hot air  then after around an hour of driving all of a sudden it goes cold. after another 10-15 mins it got hot again. im guessing i could have some air in the coolant system? anyone had this before?
I doubt air in the system would take an hour to materialise!

Are you using the 'auto' setting?  Guessing you have a Seat - so I'm not 100% familiar with their HVAC controls - but basically, turn the heat setting to the max heat (HI on the Golf GTI with dual-zone climate, and the red blob on lesser spec 'climatronic' Golfs) - and leave it there.  Because when you use anywhere between full hot or full cold (say 21degC on the heat setting) - the heater will blow out toasty hot air (once the engine coolant has been heated up) - and continue to blow toasty air until the cabin temperature reaches 21degC - then the air coming out of the vents will cool down.  If, say you then happen to drive between some trees or in a hidden dip where the outside temperature can get noticeably cooler - suddenly toasty air will come out of the vents again.

HTH, and let us know how you get on.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~