Make a donation

Author Topic: After some much needed advice:  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
After some much needed advice:
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:36:21 am »
Been working aboard since 99 and now in Hong Kong where there is not much point having a car (Public transport is normally more convenient), so I really look forward to my vacations back to the UK where I can do some driving. Last year I brought an immaculate standard 2009 Pirelli Edition with around 13, 250 miles on the clock.

Since then I have spent many enjoyable hours on this site planning what upgrades I can do to it and on the last 2 trips I have had the following works done to the brakes handling.

Brakes (Completed)
Tarrox Sport Japan Drilled & Slotted Front & Rear Brake Discs
EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads Front & Rear
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid Service
Neuspeed Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Handling (Completed)
Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert
Neuspeed Short Shift Kit
Bilstien PSS10 kit
Neuspeed front anti roll bar 25mm
Neuspeed rear anti roll bar 25mm
Neuspeed rear sway bar links
Whtieline anti lift kit
Front wishbone front power flex bush
Whiteline bump - steer adjust kit
Neuspeed triangulated upper rear strut brace
Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment

Whilst I am contemplating a big brake upgrade still on the front the changes currently made have been a vast improvement and the handling now really is great. I am now planning to head back to the UK for a while in March/April and have been planning what performance upgrades to carry out during this trip. To date I have the following items penciled in:

Performance (Planned)
Milltek None Resonated Cat-Back Exhaust System
Milltek Large Bore Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Cat
Forge Blow off Valve kit
Forge Twintercooler
ITG Maxogen Induction Kit
Forge Silicone Coolant Hose Kit
Forge Silicone Throttle body hose
Forge DV to Intake return Hose
Revo serial port switch
Revo stage 2+
Neuspeed 2.0T K04 Hi-Flow Turbo Discharge Kit
Neuspeed 2.0T HI-FLO Air Charge Pipe
Neuspeed 2.0T Carbon Fiber Half Engine Cover
NGK IRIDIUM IX spark plugs - BKR8EIX
APR high pressure fuel pump
New OEM fuel pump cam follower

Common sense tells me I should do the clutch, front big brake conversion and the limited slip differential first but common sense is not one of my strong points and I am eager to see what the engine is capable off first so I will plan these items later. In that regards I will likely do the above but just with the stage 2 software and then I will have the option to go to stage 2+ after the clutch etc. is upgraded.

The only thing that gives me some concerns is to what bhp can I safely take this engine before the extra power may start having adverse effects? I understand the ED30’s and Pirelli’s are beefed up in areas and basically a detuned S3 lump so I suppose 300BHP should be manageable but if I do all the above then I understand I may be looking at 360 bhp and am wondering if this would this still be OK for the engine?  (The car only has around 16-17,000 miles on the clock now and gets looked after by the team at Vagtech and should only be doing about 4,000 miles a year in it whilst I am still working abroad)

Look forward to some feedback from you guys who have gone this route and some comment s on what I have planed for the engine.

Thanks in advance Paul

P.S. I never thought modifying a car a motor would be so addictive, it reminds me of when I was in my teens doing the same to my 50cc & 125cc motorbikes to see what speed I could squeeze out of them :signLOL:

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Re: After some much needed advice:
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:18:45 am »
Hi, your engine should be fine with those mods (400hp+)as these engines can easily exceed what you will be putting through them with said mods (you will be looking at (360ish)depending whose rollers it is dyno'd on. Your only problem will deffo be the clutch. It will be more than likely you will tear the standard one to shreds after around 200yds with those sort of mods, and while your at it you may as well add the lsd while the clutch is out .  :happy2: p.s you will be going from a fairly quick car to :driver: so big front brake mods will be imminent.

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:15:15 am »
Thanks Gazon

Maybe best I do all above with a stage 2 this trip back and take it easy for the few hundred miles I will do and then when back on my next trip look to do the big brakes on the front, LSD, upgraded clutch and stage 2 to stage 2+ upgrade and then I can start giving it the full  :driver:

Cheers Paul

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:25 am »
my clutch last less than a week when i went from stg 1 to 2+ and it has 25k on the clock..
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »
Thanks Berg

What clutch did you go with and hows it holding out?

Cheers Paul