Make a donation

Author Topic: grip issues  (Read 2425 times)

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
grip issues
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
Hi everyone,I'm seriously thinking of getting the ed remapped but as my car is standard i sometimes get grip issues when accelerating eg coming off a roundabout etc etc..So this made me thinking that if I had the car remapped to stg1 I be getting more grip issues..also would like to mention that tires are Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric with 5-6mm,would the WALK kit cure this problem??

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: grip issues
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:25:57 am »
it would help

personally i'd get it lowered too and get a rear ARB. my car has Weitec Hicon GTs, WALK and Autotech rear ARB and it handles like a housefly, particularly in comparison to stock
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
You are always going to struggle to contain wheelspin and grip issues in a powerful fwd car especially at this time of year.. WALK kit will help but not a huge amount in my experience although it does significantly reduce 'wheel hop' on my car, I just accept the limitations of the grip and find I have more success adjusting my driving style and right foot to reduce wheelspin as much as possible..
Tbh I quite like a bit of wheelspin and the steering wheel tugging about etc, makes for a more entertaining drive imo  :driver:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:42:22 am »
Best method of reducing wheelspin during cornering is by being a smooth as you can with the steering wheel and accelerator pedal.

If you mash the acc. pedal = wheelspin
If you tug on the steering wheel = wheelspin

Offline rahat118

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:39 am »
and avoid budgey tyres lol

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:01 am »
You are always going to struggle to contain wheelspin and grip issues in a powerful fwd car especially at this time of year.. WALK kit will help but not a huge amount in my experience although it does significantly reduce 'wheel hop' on my car, I just accept the limitations of the grip and find I have more success adjusting my driving style and right foot to reduce wheelspin as much as possible..
Tbh I quite like a bit of wheelspin and the steering wheel tugging about etc, makes for a more entertaining drive imo  :driver:

^^ What Beddie said.

My WALK helped too but only a bit. I have to say that despite the rave reviews on the Goodyear Asym 2's on my car, I have found the grip good for corners but perhaps even worse than some cheaper tyres for straight line traction (however, they wear well and have great rim protection for my alloys which is a big bonus for me). I have been toying with the idea of getting more rubber on the road with wider wheels/tyres (255/35/18s) but it sounds like a very tight fit.

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:39 am »
Best way to cure this is fit some form of LSD, it's not cheap but prob the best mod u can make to any fwd car

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:20:33 pm »
Best way to cure this is fit some form of LSD, it's not cheap but prob the best mod u can make to any fwd car

Got one of those too (Quaife) and it is a fantastic mod for getting around corners and getting the car to go where you point it. Torque is move to the wheel with the grip which will of course have a bias on most cornering situations. It helps a bit with 'getting off the mark' traction but certainly no miracle cure. As said above, there is not a lot that can be done at this time of year with damp roads and a lot of power going through a FWD car. Where the car is balanced on the wheels, going straight and neither wheel has sufficient grip, the LSD can't do much to help unfortunately.

The only solution is a) phat wheels/tyres b) 4 wheel drive or c) adjust driving style as mentioned above.  I have resigned myself to c) and have to accept it a lot at this time of year  :sad1:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:00:10 pm »

I second this, at Stg 2+ with all of the mods you might care to name to help traction can still be an issue if you mash your foot to the floor, but be progressive and get into third before mashing your foot to floor means no issues.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »
As everyone else has said, more down to how you drive a FWD in weather like this. Even in RS's that come with diff's as standard and even mk2 that comes with revo knuckle they still wheel spin at 300bhp.

I got to agree with BEDDIE though. Used to love my old 350bhp mk1 RS, pulling me all over the road trying to get traction, so much fun.  :driver:

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »
Cheers for all the replays  :happy2:..I'll just get it remapped to stg1 and go from there

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map