Make a donation

Author Topic: Nice new paint now mega swirly  (Read 3357 times)

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Nice new paint now mega swirly
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »
I had my car painted before Christmas and it was a nice job.

I got 2 new buckets, grit guard and a wash mitt for xmas and have been more cautious as ever when cleaning it (shadow blue).

The fecking thing is covered in super fine 'scratches'. Some people cant even see what I am on about, and it is only apparent in strong sun, but obviously I am adding plenty of swirls to the top coat.

I even used some AG Extra gloss protection and a new microfibre after waxing and seemed to see extra swirling after.

So I am thinking my fresh paint is still soft.

Any guiders as to how long it will take to harden? I guess I will need to have a correction done when its all hard again. Just dont want to make too much of a mess of it now.!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:28:13 pm by jimk04 »

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Nice new paint now mega swirly
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:35 pm »
i think someone told me you should let the new paint harden for about a month before you wash it but i could be talking crap  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »
i think someone told me you should let the new paint harden for about a month before you wash it but i could be talking crap  :rolleye:

I had a new front wing on my car which was detailed 5 days after i got it back and i've washed it 3 times since. No scratches on mine. Was the paint job done by VW or someone else?

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:27:15 am »
Vw Mansfield.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Turbosteve

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:16:54 am »
Vw Mansfield.
Take it to a good bodyshop and ask there opinion, if they say something is at fault then ask for a letter to explain.   You may need to pay but you can ask for this cost back from the dealer.... I did it and it worked I even got compensation back.....

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:47:15 am »
Send jpc on this forum a pm I am sure if you ask him he could look or even help you a little

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline rahat118

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »
use atoglym super resin polish. really high quality stuff took my swirl marks off

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »
use atoglym super resin polish. really high quality stuff took my swirl marks off

Super resin polish is good but doesnt really remove swirls...It uses filling agents to 'hide' the swirls... it will wash out if you dont top it with a good long lasting wax or sealant.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:02:52 pm »
I had my car painted before Christmas and it was a nice job.

I got 2 new buckets, grit guard and a wash mitt for xmas and have been more cautious as ever when cleaning it (shadow blue).

The fecking thing is covered in super fine 'scratches'. Some people cant even see what I am on about, and it is only apparent in strong sun, but obviously I am adding plenty of swirls to the top coat.

I even used some AG Extra gloss protection and a new microfibre after waxing and seemed to see extra swirling after.

So I am thinking my fresh paint is still soft.

Any guiders as to how long it will take to harden? I guess I will need to have a correction done when its all hard again. Just dont want to make too much of a mess of it now.!

It may be that the body shop used something like 3m a glaze to hide marks in the paint and now you have washed it the true finish of the paint can be seen.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:23:58 pm »
As above, most swirls aren't really removed (requires a proper machine polish and sometimes correction) but are filled in. SRP is a great hand polish but it does a lot of filling in of swirls, which can then reappear over time as the fillers degrade.

I'd get it looked at by a detailer and see if an enhancement will sort out 90% of the mess.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:25 pm »
My car has some swirl marks too, looking to have them removed properly. Could I do this myself by hand with a microfiber or should I get a pro on the job with a machine polisher!? Any recommendations for detailers within Scotland, Near to edin as possible?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 08:59:00 pm »
My car has some swirl marks too, looking to have them removed properly. Could I do this myself by hand with a microfiber or should I get a pro on the job with a machine polisher!? Any recommendations for detailers within Scotland, Near to edin as possible?

You will never effectively remove swirls by hand. and for the cost and risk of getting all the correct equipment yourself, you may aswell pay someone who knows what they are doing.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:42:42 pm »
Unless you have time, money and effort to do a proper job of it, I'd always recommend getting a pro to have a look at it. Then all you need to do is a regular wash and top up wax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Alex678

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 05:36:07 am »
Difficult to say without seeing but either holograms from compound or marring that was filled by polish. Take a look on detailingworld brush up on your car care techniques and or get a pro to take a look imo.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 08:31:29 am »
Thanks for the input. It was glossy as when I picked it up from the shop, so yeah either I have removed their filler, or I have marred the fresh paint....I think maybe the latter.

I think I will srp it until I can afford a paint correction.