Make a donation

Author Topic: Computer Help  (Read 1737 times)

Nasir

Computer Help
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:17:31 pm »
Hi all, I know there are many knowledgeable IT guys on here so I was hoping somebody could help me.

I'd like to reinstall Windows Vista 32 bit on my laptop which didn't come with a recovery CD, how do I do this? I've read there could be a hidden partition with it on, how do I find out if it has this? 

If I do get to the point of reinstalling how can I save my iTunes library without having to mess around moving songs?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Computer Help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:34:25 pm »
Look up how to back up your database. Think there's a guide on the apple website.

Press F8 or Ctrl on boot up and you should get a boot menu. Failing that, I'd imagine any windows vista disc should be fine since what you need is the product key.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:15:16 pm »
I backed my i-tunes HHD, then copy the music to my new laptop, very straight forward.  If you follow the instructions on the apple site I think it shows how to save play lists etc.

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:41:51 pm »
What laptop is it as manufacturers differ slightly on what keys you need to press at start up to start the recovery process.
Without traction power is nothing!

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:11:07 pm »
Many thanks for the replies, I'll back up my iTunes on an external HDD.

I have Microsoft Office which I installed a while ago, it only let you use the software code twice. Do I have to buy it again?

Ifti

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »
If you have a genuine license code with office, you can reinstall it as many times as you like. The install 3 times limit may be referring to being able to install it on 3 different machines at any one time.

When it comes to Windows - may be a good time to ditch Vista and go for Windows 7? Its much more stable.
If you know any students, you will be able to get a copy as a student pretty cheap.

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »
What laptop is it as manufacturers differ slightly on what keys you need to press at start up to start the recovery process.

It's a Sony Vaio, does this make a difference?

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:52:44 pm »
If you have a genuine license code with office, you can reinstall it as many times as you like. The install 3 times limit may be referring to being able to install it on 3 different machines at any one time.

When it comes to Windows - may be a good time to ditch Vista and go for Windows 7? Its much more stable.
If you know any students, you will be able to get a copy as a student pretty cheap.

Oh so the software will remember that it went on my computer? Shouldn't be an issue then.

Yes I am a student  :signLOL:. To be honest, I don't think the hardware could hack Windows 7 and I plan on replacing the laptop in a few months anyway.

Offline Zaf2616

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »
It won't actually, a fresh instal of the operating system will mean office see's it as a new computer.

As for it not being able to hack win 7 - vista is known to eat up ram and resource needlessly while win 7 is much better at resource management. If you still dont think it's suitable I'd chose xp over vista any day

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 12:03:58 am »
windows 7 will run fine on most things and you wont need to find any drivers.   Windows Vista was a major flop.

Regarding office you can install it loads of times with out anyworry..  Just run though the windows phone activation.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_32_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

that will do you.   You dont need to be a student just select a local uni to you  :drinking:

Nasir

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 12:48:22 am »
Ahh you're all very knowledgable. So Windows 7 is faster than Vista? Might as well do that then, oh and a great deal^^^

Now just to get iTunes to open again, it keeps saying Windows DEP stopped iTunes from opening :fighting2:

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 01:02:03 am »
If it runs Vista it will run Windows 7 ... and better.

I reinstall loads of Vista PC's with Windows 7 for customers - change no hardware and they are amazed at the different. 1-2yr old laptops.

Nasir

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:33:52 pm »
If it runs Vista it will run Windows 7 ... and better.

I reinstall loads of Vista PC's with Windows 7 for customers - change no hardware and they are amazed at the different. 1-2yr old laptops.

Cool, I may do that then. Does anybody why iTunes is playing up? I updated it and it doesn't open now :confused: