Make a donation

Author Topic: Sticky Throttle Problems  (Read 9520 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Sticky Throttle Problems
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »
Cheers Mat, that's a very kind offer. I've put a lot of pressure on them to sort it and I think they're aware I'm not about to rollover and accept that nothing can be done. I'm also holding on to the thought they might be to embarrassed to admit defeat, but who knows!

I did wonder, although they have cleaned the throttle body, whether they had properly cleaned the butterfly flap on it. Could it be that that is sticking and sometimes causing the revs to stop falling?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »
could be but it can be moved by hand i am sure of it but they could start the engine and watch the flap to see if its doing its job.does the car drive fine i.e. when driving do the revs come back down smooth or is it just an idle thing ?

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »
It varies to be honest. The revs never fall without pausing at around 1500rpm, then falling very slowly. Generally the idle rpm from cold will be 700 - 800rpm, but after driving for 10 minutes or so the idle settles at 1000rpm. I thought that a warm engine would result in a lower idle. Sometimes when sat at idle the revs will start to rise slightly, and sometimes if I rev the engine up to 2500 - 3000rpm, it will fall to 1500rpm, then flick up a few hundred rpm. Sometimes when coming to a quick stop the revs will stick at 2000rpm and literally hang there for 10 seconds, foot off the accelerator and firmly on the clutch.

The car drives absolutely fine. I removed the MAF and didn't see any noticeable difference. It's had a new PCV and breather pipe, a new throttle valve, DV, charcoal canister, N80 valve, coil packs and some other hose going into the throttle body. Only thing I'm aware that needs changing is the spark plugs.

I'm tempted to get some diagnostic runs on a dyno because it's getting to the point where I've forgot how it should drive!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:02 pm »
Well I received some quite unexpected news today. VW claim to have reached a conclusion. Their word, not mine. Apparently they have identified an air leak between two pipes going into the intercooler, where a rubber hose meets a metal one they said. They have said they will cover the diagnosis and labour time, leaving me to pay £120 for the parts.

I'm amazed that this saga has gone on for almost 5 months, and I'm rather skeptical that I'll finally be able to put it behind me. Still can't help but get excited about getting my GTI back though!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »
Good news (I think)! Not surprised that what they have found will cost you, but if it does sort the problem out then I suppose its a small price to pay!  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:55 pm »
I've made it very clear to them that I want them to be 110% sure it is fixed before giving me the car back and that this is the last time I spend money on a supposed fix. Truth be told, I never expected them to offer to cover the labour, so that is a bonus. I've had a few very nice cars while it's been in too (though I can't wait to offload the EOS!).

I'm off to spend some money on some detailing products so I can give it some love and get them sexy wheels back on it!

Offline Golf5bgd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2022, 06:22:25 am »
Hi all, sorry for posting after long time but i have same issue with my golf 5 1.6 102hp
I gone to 10 mechanics and noone can slove this problem
Everything is same as in topic
Are you fixed this and how?
Thank you

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2022, 10:49:18 pm »
Here's the scenario: I depress the clutch at 2000+ rpm, foot off the accelerator and the engine sticks at 1500 rpm for probably 5+ seconds.

I've had the car checked thoroughly for any air leaks, I've had the throttle body cleaned and a new PCV fitted, but I'm still getting this problem. It seems to be exaggerated when the car has been ran for a while, so the oil etc is up to temperature.

VW are supposed to have fixed this and they'll be getting a call first thing on Monday, I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

Had this exact same problem on my vw and still do have it but occurs much less often after I found a loose vacuum hose and replaced rocker cover gasket.

Offline Golf5bgd

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2022, 08:27:50 am »
So it is imposible to fix
I must find someone with smoke machine to test vacuum leaks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 11:49:10 am »
You can get that same symptom from a bad clutch pedal switch.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D