Make a donation

Author Topic: Remap - I know nowt  (Read 1733 times)

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
Remap - I know nowt
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »
Folks

Any chance of a heads up as to what I could expect if I went stage 1 on my standard gti?

Roughly what sort of power increase I could expect and also how much does it add to your insurance - I think our premiums are higher here in NI too.

Can I just do the remap without modifying my brakes etc??

Cheers

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Remap - I know nowt
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:55:27 pm »
Stage 1 will typically see around 40bhp.

insurance wise it depends on your insurer, but some report that they charge the amount that your power has increased as a percentage over standard so 40bhp = ~20% increase so expect your insurance to go up by 20%

your standard brakes would be fine for Stage 1, but they're a bit feeble anyway and most people change them. better pads and making sure your system has had regular brake fluid changes is probably a good way to go.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »
Cheers for that Sub.

Could be an idea - maybe I can convince the missus it's worth the spend....

Am I in the minority only running standard power??

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:34 pm »
nope i'm running standard power at the minute, but i intend to change that in the next couple of months - jumping straight to stage 2+  :evilgrin:

sadly as i'm not married and only in a new relationship i wouldn't be the most qualified on how you'd go about justifying it to the missus as i can do what i like with my car atm :p
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »
Cheers for that Sub.

Could be an idea - maybe I can convince the missus it's worth the spend....

Am I in the minority only running standard power??

When I went on the forum Ring trip a few years ago, I think I was the only one with standard bhp. But saying that mate, you really don't know how much power you have and just how capable the mk5 chassis is, until you go on the track.  :notworthy:

I personally thought it was more important to upgrade the brakes and suspension first. I really didn't think the standard brakes could cope with the standard 230bhp never mind after stage1.
I can't imagine what a lap round the ring would be like on standard brakes.  :jumping:

The extra power of stage1 is awesome, but like I said, if you go round the ring with your 200bhp you will be amazed how good it is  :happy2:
(you just need to brakes to stop you without fading before you get to a corner)  :wink:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:27:36 pm by monte »

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:14 am »
nope i'm running standard power at the minute, but i intend to change that in the next couple of months - jumping straight to stage 2+  :evilgrin:

sadly as i'm not married and only in a new relationship i wouldn't be the most qualified on how you'd go about justifying it to the missus as i can do what i like with my car atm :p

Enjoy it while you can mate! I had to justify buying new tyres! The only way I'm gonna be able to justify the remap is to focus on the fuel economy 'gains' that I keep dropping into conversations!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »
 :signLOL: