Make a donation

Author Topic: My bonnet won't shut  (Read 6900 times)

Offline Glenn

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: My bonnet won't shut
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »
remove it clean it and grease it with heat resitant grease as it gets hot and any oil or lubricant can just run away, hence they corrode and seize up, just remember to remove the grill when doing it to check allignment and operation as if it sticks shut you can get to the catch

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:19:37 pm »
Bl**dy happened to me tonight, running late and meant to be on my way two hours ago.  Wish I'd read this thread earlier as I'll probably never fiind the torx key I dropped into the engine bay...  :ashamed:  :confused:  :sad1:

After removing the footwell trim, trying to move the bonnet catch and in the process losing the torx key, so with no magnet so after 30 mins of scraped skin I gave up trying to retrieve it.  Ended up lubricating the catch with WD40 and started jigging things about with a screwdriver and hey presto the f*cker locked.... It took 2 mins...    :embarrassed:

So panic over for now......

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:22 pm »
Only had the car 24hrs and mine has just stuck open, what a nightmare but just wiggled it about a bit, back to the dealer i think  :smiley:
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 07:46:40 pm »
Mine did this today, tried everything still won't shut, drove it on the latch for about 50 miles home, eek, needs sorting... it's plenty lubed, latch is seated correctly, as is the handle... I've had this happen a while back, at least 12 months ago, can't remember what I did, perhaps heat related!?  Feckin' boiling today, as are most parts of the UK.

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:44 pm »
Just to quote myself here...  I decided to leave it last night, couldn't be bothered scanning etc. 

Today, opened the car via fob, opened bonnet, closed bonnet, sorted, hmm.