Make a donation

Author Topic: Martin's OEM+ GTI  (Read 8856 times)

Offline pomsteroonie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Martin's OEM+ GTI
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
Car looks much better with the wheels - where did you buy them from as I thought BBS stopped making those.

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »
Car looks much better with the wheels - where did you buy them from as I thought BBS stopped making those.

Sorry, missed your post.  I got them from Rimstyle, great guys, and by far the most helpful people I've ever dealt with.  I seem to remember them saying that BBS did them in a one-of batch due to demand, and they are no longer listed on the website but give them a call, they'll sort you out.

So...... the car broke down on me twice a few weeks back, so it's now had all 4 coil packs changed, and so far it's alright.  Fingers crossed that's it for a while.  I've pretty much decided to hold onto it for the time being, given the amount I've spent on it so far, it would be crazy to throw it all away and swap to something else, which could potentially be even worse.  Saying that, I've still got one eye on the pistonheads classifieds haha.

In other news, having seen lots of people recently rating Auto finesse Tough Coat, I payed a visit to Polished Bliss yesterday and set about 'detailing' the Golf.  Started with Tardis, then a bit of claying, before a light polish by hand (no machine polishing here) and finishing off with the Tough Coat.  Very impressed with it.  The spray bottle makes it easy to apply to the paintwork, and once cured it really does just wipe off, very little buffing required.  Great shine, and the rain today has proved it beads up water nicely.  I'll give it a few more coats over the next few weeks to help longevity.

While I was at it, gave my Dad's car a once over, following the same procedure, plus gave the excessive amounts of leather inside a good clean.  White is impossibly hard to make look shiny in photos though

Please excuse the photo quality, didn't realise the camera was still set up to take holiday photos in the sun = fail

Cheers

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »
Cars looking clean, red comes up so well after a wash. How are u finding the PFlo? Worth buying? Does it increase intake noise quite noticeably?

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:09 pm »
Cheers.  The P-flo is a good bit of kit.  I'm not too worried about outright power figures, hence the open cone was fine for me.  It makes the dv sound much louder when you let off and gear changes, it even makes a flutter like noise usually heard on high powered Cosworth's and the like.  On the downside, it makes a VERY loud whoosing sound no matter how much you are accelerating, which does detract from the experience a bit.  I'm still not entirely sure it's meant to make this sound, as it sounds like boost is leaking from somewhere, but the car still feels like it's boosting properly, and having had the dv swapped to a piston type, it's not that either.

I've tried a few times to get a video of this, but my camera won't pick pick up the noise unfortunately  :(

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:37 pm »
That looks gorgeous! Great effort!

I'm going to try and get my steel grey to shine when it stops raining!

Also very interested on your thoughts on the p flo. I'm wanting something that gives off some noise! Don't want to start changing exhausts. **just seen your reply - thanks for the review!**

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:21 am »
Thanks for that, thinking a PFlo myself. The engine is quite muted even with a K&N filter. Did the polish by hand help remove any of the swirl marks?

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 10:58:32 am »
It's is a very muted engine, I'd even go as far as saying it's a bit dull.

As for the hand polishing, it did remove some of them, however it would really benefit from a machine polish as there are still some that I couldn't shift. More important things to do first though