Make a donation

Author Topic: Martin's OEM+ GTI  (Read 8855 times)

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Martin's OEM+ GTI
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »
Following on from my newbie thread, for those who missed it, hello!

I'll start with my car history, which is rather varied.  You'll hopefully notice my camera skills have improved dramatically along the way  :happy2:

I've been car mad for as long as I can remember and had my first car bought a month before my 17th birthday, with my first driving lesson at 9am on my birthday! keen or what eh?  The first car is obviously an important purchase for most, and I wanted something different from the usual corsa/clio/saxo that the majority pick.  This meant going for a slightly older car.  I ended up with a 1.8 Ford Focus, which compared to the 1.0's usually found in 17 year olds cars, was a rocket ship!  This car got the 'boyracer treatment'.  A K&N induction kit, wheels, and an anti-social exhaust  :P

Being 10 years old at the time though, it was costing me far to much to keep it on the road, there was barely a week went past that it didn't need something replaced.  So away it went, to be replaced by a 1.6 Honda Civic Sport.  This wasn't any faster than the Focus, but was much more reliable, it needed for nothing the entire time I owned it.  I was fairly skint during the time I had it though, so short of an AEM induction kit, and some engine painting, it didn't really get much done to it.

I always felt this car needed much more power though.  The fastest car I could afford to insure at 19 was a Mini Cooper S.  It's not to everyones taste, and I never heard the end of the hairdresser car jokes.  But it was fantastic.  By this point, I was out of college and had a full time job, meaning there was enough pennies to mod it a lot more.  During the time I had it, it got a dave.f custom induction kit, a Milltek cat-back exhaust, MeisterR fully adjustable coilovers, which I had a one off prototype set of as I was helping to develop them, Adjustable rear camber arms, Brembo calipers up front and an immaculate set of BBS RX's in 17"

It handled better than a go kart, stopped like you'd hit a wall, and screamed like crazy with the supercharger and exhaust wailing.  It was awesome to drive, but my commute to work is mainly through the city centre.  This made the stiff suspension and woeful mpg tiresome at best, so off it went to be replaced with the Golf GTI.

Before buying the Golf, I looked at a few cars, ST focus, DC5 Integra, another Mini etc, but none of them matched the refinement and experience of the Golf.  I ended up with a 54 reg red one.  It's on 60,000 miles, which is higher than I'd ideally wanted, but is still low for the age.  It's fairly well specced, with full leather heated seats, apparently they are quite rare?  The only things I've noticed that are missing is the xenons and cruise control, which I can live without.

The garage did me an amazing deal.  They gave it a service, including changing the timing belt and everything else involved with that service.  They also had the wheels refurbed and brand new tyre fitted at each corner.  Fair enough they are only budget tyres, but they'll more than do for now, and to be honest, they don't seem that bad so far.

What have I changed so far?  I spent all of yesterday working on it, so it's had the nokia handfree system removed, I've fitted the scangauge out of the Mini, which is a device that plugs into the obd port and reads all the information you could possibly want.  It can also be used as a code reader.  I've also dewipered it, fitted my dubmeister metal plates and gave it a good clean, but it'll need a fair amount of work on the paint once the weathers better.

What does it need?  Well as you've probably noticed the exhaust needs a lot of work!  I was at it with the sandpaper last night as it's beyond polish haha  It's almost back to silver now, but is still a bit manky.  The car in general is far to quite and refined for my liking, so an induction kit and downpipe/exhaust will be bought.  Advice on these would be greatly appreciated.  It handles fairly well for a standard car, but could do with being a bit lower, so coilovers will be bought Billstein/KW will be the order here.  Then at somepoint new wheels, probably BBS as I'm a fanboy  :drool:

Thats all for now, and to those of you who have stuck with me this long, thanks, and sorry for rambling on  :drinking:

Offline RSam84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Martin's OEM+ GTI
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 05:53:45 pm »
Looks like a good base mate!

Offline swedishfireball

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »
Probably the only car I would actually go for in Red. Love it. And ditto on the exhaust, mine shamefully looks even worse than yours  :ashamed:

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:45:57 pm »
Nice car, I also have a red GTI (the fastest colour I heard) :smiley:

As for suspension there's a lot of good reviews on the Bilstein B12 kit (which has Eibach springs)

A WALK would also be good too with a set of BBS VZs or Pescaras (ED 30 wheels)

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:52:22 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'd love a set of pescaras/CH's and may well get some, but they are a bit common, saying that though, they do look spot-on on  the mk5

Forgive the newbie question, but what is WALK?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:47 pm »
Thanks, it's something I'll consider for sure

Offline trenchy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • [IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/jame
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »
gotta agree with a previous post..... lovely car in the fastest colour....ahem :happy2:

GTi in the fastest colour...........

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 05:12:28 pm »
I've spent a fair while polishing the exhaust tips, and in the end gave up, so had a mate machine polish it.  Still not perfect, but a hell of a lot better, and will certainly do until the Milltek comes.

Also jumped on a new set of hoops.  I went for BBS VZ in 18", not the most imaginative choice, but I've always loved the style of the wheel.  Possibly get something more exciting in the future though if I get bored.  No tyres as yet, but I'll get that sorted once the weather and road conditions improve.

It's not all been plain sailing though unfortunately.  I've already had a puncture, and went to get it sorted this morning.  All was well, until I went out this afternoon to clean off the sealant crap, and noticed they've scuffed the rim!  Raging, they were refurbed less than a month ago as well  :picard:

More concerning perhaps, is the car is using a lot of coolant.  I've had to top it up twice in the few weeks I've had it.  I'm guessing this is way beyond normal?  The garage I bought it from changed the timing belt and water pump as part of the deal when I bought it, so I guess something's gone wrong in this procedure.  The odd part though, is that from a quick look around, it doesn't appear to be leaking from anywhere...  Any ideas on what could be causing it?  The car will be going back tomorrow for them to have a look at, but any opinions in advance would be great

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:00 pm »
There is a coolant junction above the gearbox, it is a plastic item with a o ring that sometimes start leaking, replaced mine. Had same problem with coolant level dropping. Do a search for coolant lose, PITA job to do tho.

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:35:12 pm »
Thanks, I'll have a look in daylight tomorrow

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 02:47:49 am »

Also jumped on a new set of hoops.  I went for BBS VZ in 18", not the most imaginative choice, but I've always loved the style of the wheel.  Possibly get something more exciting in the future though if I get bored.  No tyres as yet, but I'll get that sorted once the weather and road conditions improve.

It's not all been plain sailing though unfortunately.  I've already had a puncture, and went to get it sorted this morning.  All was well, until I went out this afternoon to clean off the sealant crap, and noticed they've scuffed the rim!  Raging, they were refurbed less than a month ago as well  :picard:

Car looks great and those BBS look awesome mate  :drool:

…but please tell me you haven't refitted those manky poundshop tyres  :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 07:47:06 am »
Unfotunately yes. :( I would rather have put on a decent set, but I'm skint, and the BBS will be going on in a few months with good tyres anyway, so it would have been a waste of money.  Plus if driven with a little care in the wet, these tyres aren't actually that bad

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:06 am »
Unfotunately yes. :( I would rather have put on a decent set, but I'm skint, and the BBS will be going on in a few months with good tyres anyway, so it would have been a waste of money.  Plus if driven with a little care in the wet, these tyres aren't actually that bad

:grin: That sentense is just  :stupid:, i'm sorry but it is. Never go on compromise with tyres and brakes IMO  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:23 am »
It's hardly a compromise. I've never had a set of tyres that can be driven as hard in the wet as the dry, and I've tried a heap of tyres from cheaper brands like kumho and Falken right through to the more expensive stuff like Michelin. I agree budget tyres are not ideal. And just to confirm it wasn't me that put them on in the first place. The BBS on my mini came with budget tyres that were so sh*tty you can't even buy them in the UK, compared to them, the set on ATM are like R888s

If it really bothers you that much though, I'd happily accept a loan/gift to allow me to get decent tyres on