Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacing rear valance  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Replacing rear valance
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:44:10 am »
What is the best way to replace rear valance? I am putting a GTI valance on a GT. Is it easier to take full bumper off or just pull the bottom valance off? Its just held on by clips i believe but am concerned i break something as not mechanically minded.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Replacing rear valance
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:48:26 am »
You've got about 6 screws underneath holding it to the car plus i think a few hidden in the wheel arch liner maybe aswell as all the clips along the top edge of the valance. Many people say its easier to remove the whole bumper but can be done with the top half still on the car  :happy2:

Dave
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:50:30 am by Little_Dave »

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:20 pm »
You've got about 6 screws underneath holding it to the car plus i think a few hidden in the wheel arch liner maybe aswell as all the clips along the top edge of the valance. Many people say its easier to remove the whole bumper but can be done with the top half still on the car  :happy2:

Dave

^^This.

Torx (20/25?) on the underside and a few in the rear arch liners, two bigger torx (30?) on the underside (these usually go brittle and snap so take care).

When all torx are removed, start at one end, finding a balance between being firm but gentle and pry the valance off clip by clip. Take care not to pull too much as it might flex it and cause white marks/cracks.

Do this all the way along. Refitting is the reverse but I'll tell you now, if you have big fat hands or arms you might struggle to get the clips near the numberplate in (when you push they flex as nothing behind to resist). I manage to get my hand up behind it to add resistance when pushing in, but you may need to improvise/or remove the whole bumper if this will be an issue.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:45:47 pm »

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

I watched this however it looked as though the risk of destroying something was significant. I think I may attempt to remove full bumper or find someone who can, valance ordered anyway!

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 53
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »
Guide here, you can do this without removing the rear wheels.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3754634

:happy2:

hugh jass

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:05 pm »
 Ive just done this  and can honestly say its a lot easier taking the bumper and valance off. Not a hard job just a few torx screws and removing the rear lights.

Offline OldSpeckledBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »
I removed the bottom valance on mine on Thursday to have it colour coded and I will admit to get the clips back in where the numberplate sits is a nightmare.
I'd highly recommend removing the whole rear bumper, its pretty easy tbh and makes it alot easier  :happy2:

Cheers,
Ben

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Re: Re: Replacing rear valance
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »
I removed the bottom valance on mine on Thursday to have it colour coded and I will admit to get the clips back in where the numberplate sits is a nightmare.
I'd highly recommend removing the whole rear bumper, its pretty easy tbh and makes it alot easier  :happy2:

Cheers,
Ben
I think that sounds a better idea. Briefly whats involved screw wise. The rear lights come out i know that and rear speed liner torx screws.

Offline OldSpeckledBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Re: Re: Replacing rear valance
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »
I'd highly recommend removing the whole rear bumper, its pretty easy tbh and makes it alot easier  :happy2:

Cheers,
Ben
I think that sounds a better idea. Briefly whats involved screw wise. The rear lights come out i know that and rear speed liner torx screws.

If you're taking the whole bumper off, there's the ones to take out in the video posted above, another 2 underneath where the rear light was and then there's 2 more in each wheel arch a little further up in the arch from the others, one of them is behind the arch liner, to take that one out I just jacked the car up a bit to make access to that screw a bit easier  :happy2: the bumper should then just slide off  :smiley:

Cheers,
Ben

Offline nutty600

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:26:21 am »
I find it easier to just remove the lower valance on its own! If your round the northwest in preston ill lend a hand  :happy2:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:01 am »
Should have added this to my earlier post.
I had mine off again this week, I put a screw in the hole made by number plate on upper part and pulled back a bit (using plyers on the head) to create tension, the valence clips took almost no effort to push in.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »
Should have added this to my earlier post.
I had mine off again this week, I put a screw in the hole made by number plate on upper part and pulled back a bit (using plyers on the head) to create tension, the valence clips took almost no effort to push in.

Fitted my ED30 rear valance today with the upper part still on the car and did exactly this to hold the numberplate recess firm and pop the clips in making it flush  :happy2:

Dave