Make a donation

Author Topic: Any Chemists or Chemistry boffins onboard?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Any Chemists or Chemistry boffins onboard?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:49 pm »
At 80kg, 7.2ml is the point at which you should seek medical attention.

I know you're not gonna go do anything stupid but I still feel I should openly state that taking MEG is harmful and potentially dangerous. It can royally mess up your kidneys, leading to disordered blood chemistry and hence death.
I've had a shed-load of blood tests done subsequently, and they confirmed that kidneys and liver were all OK.  An ultrasound showed up a 'small cyst' on my left kidley, but the horney radiographer, nor my quack seem concerned.  :confused:

I'm only asking becuase a vet-assistant friend told me how lethal it was to cats, and that they had a spate of poisened kitties!  :sad1:

10ml is probably a 'worst case' guess.  But over the years, I've often gotten a mouthful (when either syphoning systems or bulk barrels - all legit - but sod all H&S, it would seem) - but like a good catholic girl I know, have always tried to spit rather than swallow!  :jumping:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Any Chemists or Chemistry boffins onboard?
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 10:59:28 pm »
:popcornsoda: I have no idea what your talking about but it sounds good  :signLOL:
'Mono-ethylene glycol' (MEG) is the main chemical in engine coolant anti-freeze - apparently it is pretty nasty stuff if you drink it - especially if the thing that drunk it usually eats Kitte-cat!

A similar sounding chemical - 'poly-ethylene glycol' (PEG) is the main chemical component of an effective human laxative, sold under the Movicol and Laxido brands - over the counter or on prescription (well the 'medical grade' PEG - best not get in the same boat as those dodgy breast implants I have in my BigYellow storage!  :evilgrin:).  When you drink it - it does nasty stuff too - and is ideal to have large stocks of Andrex and AmbiPur - and maybe a peg for SWMBOs nose . . . and some cream for the subsequent Roger Banisters!

Oddly, when mixed with water (separately, not together), both MEG and PEG produce the same 'effects' when stirred.  Similar say to if you were to add water to a glass of vodka //// hic ////
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~