Make a donation

Author Topic: Not all motor oils are the same ........  (Read 2759 times)

Offline am1w

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Not all motor oils are the same ........
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
Interesting read.

Surprised that Mobil 1, Castrol and Shell don't do too well.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Wolfgang: Tornado Red Mk6 GTI Manually Active 5 Door

Offline jameelno1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
  • TDI Power
Re: Not all motor oils are the same ........
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »
hmmmmm i use mobil esp formula 1 5-30 in my golf 1.9 tdi sum use 5-40 the test in the article are different weights so not really comparable with each other. all golf mk5 use fully synthetic oil i think
also make sure the oil is vag approved 505 or 507
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:40:22 pm by jameelno1 »
golf mk5 1.9 tdi

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:42 pm »
And WTF has Yankie sh*te API specifications got to do with the massively more stringent VW OEM standards?

Incorrect info is just bad info . . .
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:18:36 pm »
hmmmmm i use mobil esp formula 1 5-30 in my golf 1.9 tdi
There are MUCH better 504/507 oils out there than that overly-hyped Mobil stuff!

sum use 5-40 the test in the article are different weights so not really comparable with each other. all golf mk5 use fully synthetic oil i think
also make sure the oil is vag approved 505 or 507
Exactly - I really don't see what relevance that particuluar Aussie article has on here when we specifically deal with VAG Mk5 platform motors!

Oh, and surprise surprise - which oils 'won' their test - Aussie branded oils! <yawn>
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »
pointless and flawed test for so many reasons. Sales gimmick advertising.

Offline jameelno1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
  • TDI Power
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 05:47:50 pm »
There are MUCH better 504/507 oils out there than that overly-hyped Mobil stuff!

very true but hey i really didnt know bout oils much now that i do think im gonna go with the quantum one since is what vw use anyway and cheaper
i paid £50 for the mobil one wot a rip off neva again
golf mk5 1.9 tdi

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »

very true but hey i really didnt know bout oils much now that i do think im gonna go with the quantum one since is what vw use anyway and cheaper
Erm . . . VW stealers should NOT use Quantum oils - they should only use 'premuim branded' oils (like Castrol, Shell, Fuchs, Mobil, Esso, Motul, etc).  The Quantum brand is just a range of oils marketed specifically by VW UK for use in independent motor trade - Quantum are not sold say by VW stealers in Germany.

And whilst Quantum brews are generally quite good, they arn't the best out there (despite being made by Castrol).
------

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5q611s8fc0vs8h2mv08rgq4989&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

Erm . . . VW stealers should NOT use Quantum oils - they should only use 'premuim branded' oils (like Castrol, Shell, Fuchs, Mobil, Esso, Motul, etc).  The Quantum brand is just a range of oils marketed specifically by VW UK for use in independent motor trade - Quantum are not sold say by VW stealers in Germany.

And whilst Quantum brews are generally quite good, they arn't the best out there (despite being made by Castrol).

But they do use it sooo.........

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:46 pm »

But they do use it sooo.........
Name and shame em!

They need formally reporting to Volkswagen Germany, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, and your local Trading Standards.  Don't bother with Volkswagen UK - I think we all know how useless they are - especially on the subject of oils!
------

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »
Are you sure that Quantum is Castrol?  I was told by a VW tech that it is premium oil from the VW approved range but whoever has the cheapest tender gets to put it in the bottle.  I.e it could be Castrol one month but Mobil or Fuchs the next?
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:04 pm »
Are you sure that Quantum is Castrol?
Quantum is not "Castrol" in another branded can.  But Quantum are developed by Castrol.  They are made in Belguim at the UK Lubricants plc plant, along with all Castrol, BP, Aral, and Adamol brands.  Castrol is now a BP subsidiary.  And as further proof Quantum are Castrol developed is their technical phone number and address - being Pipers Way in Swindon.  Anyone who knows anything about lubricants will know that Pipers Way has been the head office of Castrol for years - and when you phone up the technical helpline, you actually speak to Castrol engineers.

Another myth is that Quantum LongLife 3 is exactly the same formulation as say the 504/507 specific Castrol Edge 5w30 - it categorically is not.  The datasheets prove this, as will a chat with any of the technical helplines.  Yes, they'll both pass the VW LL3 spec, but the Quantum brew uses slightly "inferior" constituents (ie, base stocks and additives packages) compared to their official Castrol branded counterparts. :nerd:

I was told by a VW tech that it is premium oil from the VW approved range but whoever has the cheapest tender gets to put it in the bottle.  I.e it could be Castrol one month but Mobil or Fuchs the next?
Another VW employee excelling in the art of utter bullsh*t!  :stupid:

Next time you pass your local TPS, look at the address on all the 208 litre Quantum barrels . . .  :wink:
------