Make a donation

Author Topic: could this be used for VCDS  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: could this be used for VCDS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »
In theory of it runs Windows and has USB then I don't see why not. I think Ross Tech only specify minimum hardware only.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
In theory of it runs Windows and has USB then I don't see why not. I think Ross Tech only specify minimum hardware only.

i saw it and thought at that price its almost worth buying and keeping in the glove box, im not in the NO when it comes to lap tops and computer stuff so thought i better ask
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »
i was told that a netbook version of windows is not the full version that you would get on a laptop or desktop, i found this out when i was trying to update my firmware via bluetooth on my parrot hands free. i was using a netbook(wouldn't work) and had to go and get my laptop to get it to work.

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
I think it depends on which Windows version you are on about. Win 7 Home Premium should be fine.

I know there is a Win 7 Start or basic version but don't have any experience of it.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »
I think the version of Windows that VCDS doesn't work with is Windows CE - as in the version on PDA's and Chinese laptops with 7" screens. If it's a full, proper recent version then it'll be ok.

Fot the record I had a netbook with Win 7 Starter and laterally XP with no problems.

Taken from Ross-Tech..
As of VCDS Release 11.x, we recommend at least a 500 MHz Pentium-II (or AMD equivalent) with 128 MB of RAM and Windows 2000 or newer.   Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 are all fine.    As of Release 10, we no longer support Windows 95, 98, ME or NT4.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »
I think the version of Windows that VCDS doesn't work with is Windows CE - as in the version on PDA's and Chinese laptops with 7" screens. If it's a full, proper recent version then it'll be ok.

Fot the record I had a netbook with Win 7 Starter and laterally XP with no problems.

Taken from Ross-Tech..
As of VCDS Release 11.x, we recommend at least a 500 MHz Pentium-II (or AMD equivalent) with 128 MB of RAM and Windows 2000 or newer.   Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 are all fine.    As of Release 10, we no longer support Windows 95, 98, ME or NT4.

Ive had a long day that has taken it out of me so im going to ask a very silly question, after reading the above will VCDS work on the ebay link i posted, sorry im having one of thoses days :signLOL:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »
Nope.

Basically needs to be a laptop/netbook/desktop PC with Windows XP/Vista/7 to run recent versions.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:47 pm »
Ive had a long day that has taken it out of me so im going to ask a very silly question, after reading the above will VCDS work on the ebay link i posted, sorry im having one of thoses days :signLOL:

I don't think it will work out of the box as that tablet netbook runs Android 2.3 and not any Windows operating system.

Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:10 pm »
cool thanks lads, worth a thought anyway

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:25:36 pm »
Load Windows on it and it probably should.  :smiley:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50:24 pm »
Load Windows on it and it probably should.  :smiley:

I struggle to turn the laptop on  :signLOL: how would i go about doing that mate?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:02:34 am »
Using an external DVD-ROM via USB. Go into the tablets BIOS and tell it to boot from DVD/CD or USB.
It should then boot from the Windows disk in the external USB drive then just follow the install instructions.

Like I said it should work and at 70quid + the cost on Windows it is probably worth a punt. :smiley:

Or from USB stick

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 12:05:57 am »
Using an external DVD-ROM via USB. Go into the tablets BIOS and tell it to boot from DVD/CD or USB.
It should then boot from the Windows disk in the external USB drive then just follow the install instructions.

Like I said it should work and at 70quid + the cost on Windows it is probably worth a punt. :smiley:

Or from USB stick

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

I was thinking the same, for £60 odd quid perfect to have in the glove box and the usb adaptor is what got my eye

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:56 am »
Just be aware that you'll be wanting win 7 for it's touch screen function capabilities and you'll need at least 1GB of ram just to run the 32 bit version at it's minimum specification.
That tablet only has 256MB of ram.
Without traction power is nothing!