Make a donation

Author Topic: PCV sorted boost / low power issues  (Read 2185 times)

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
PCV sorted boost / low power issues
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:47:24 pm »
Just thought I'd put a quick post up about this. Recently my car over last month or so has lost some power. When I first went stage 2+ the car was very impressive but had dropped to I would say was just over stage 1 performance.

I've been getting surging boost and more lag type symptoms especially at low revs. After reading various posts etc I narrowed it down to probably PCV or N75 valve.

Picked up my replacement PCV from stealers today and fitted this am. Took it for a spin and what can I say the difference is night and day. Full steady boost all through the rev range, no surging, and lag has gone. Basically back as it was. Also the idle is noticable smoother.

The interesting thing is for reading other posts I wasn't getting any other obvious signs of a pcv issue. Pulling dipstick gave rough idle etc.

I may well change the N75 as well and see if further improvements as is only 20 notes. Well chuffed car is back on fire again!

Black GTI K03 Revo Stage 2+,

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: PCV sorted boost / low power issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »
Well chuffed car is back on fire again!

Its always trouble to say things like this :surprised:

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »
Point taken! Well chuffed my car is now back at expected stage2+ performance levels.

Well from what i've read most others seem to say a quick test for PCV working correctly is to pull dipstick out with car running and the engine should run noticably rougher. If yours has no change then that may well indicate an issue with your PCV.

What happened with mine is that the engine did run rougher but the PCV must have been an issue cos it now runs great. Maybe mine was on its way out and yours has failed completely?

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:10:53 pm »
Not sure on the BSH revamp kit I haven't had any experiance with this. I'm sure others can confirm how this should operate

MPS

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »
Just thought I'd put a quick post up about this. Recently my car over last month or so has lost some power. When I first went stage 2+ the car was very impressive but had dropped to I would say was just over stage 1 performance.

I've been getting surging boost and more lag type symptoms especially at low revs. After reading various posts etc I narrowed it down to probably PCV or N75 valve.

Picked up my replacement PCV from stealers today and fitted this am. Took it for a spin and what can I say the difference is night and day. Full steady boost all through the rev range, no surging, and lag has gone. Basically back as it was. Also the idle is noticable smoother.

The interesting thing is for reading other posts I wasn't getting any other obvious signs of a pcv issue. Pulling dipstick gave rough idle etc.

I may well change the N75 as well and see if further improvements as is only 20 notes. Well chuffed car is back on fire again!

I may have the same fault on my gti but cant really tell, You said if you pulled the dupstick out car should rough idle or not rough idle which one? At the moment when i pull the dipstick out nothing happens it just stays the same i even tried taking the oil cap off while engine running still same idle, Does this point out to a PCV fault maybe?

Yes that is the hallmark of a duff PCV. The engine should run rough when you do that.

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »
Easiest way to test for a bad PCV is to pull off the accordion hose connection to the PCV at the intake manifold and blow, then suck.  If it goes both ways, its bad.  If its blocked one way, then its working.

Make sure to wipe the oil off the hose first though. :sick: