Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering Controllers - where are they in the car?  (Read 4658 times)

Offline GTI Osprey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
Steering Controllers - where are they in the car?
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »
Now ... I don't mean steering wheels!  :laugh:

... but I want to upgrade to a DSG MSFW GTI steering wheel. I've got the steering wheel itself and the air bag loom but need the highend steeering controller ... i have a chance for one cheaply if i am willing to remove it myself ... so can any of you experts help me out ... where is it located in the car?

BTW my car is a Mk5 GTI with DSG if that makes any difference.

Here hoping ...

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Re: Steering Controllers - where are they in the car?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:31 pm »
isin the steering column at the bottom. so if you take the cowling off and look underneath... you will see it
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »
look through this and it shows how to take it off...

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35449.0.html
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline GTI Osprey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:44:09 am »
Got it. Thank you.

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:46 am »
bear in mind you DONT need to remove the steering wheel...

turn your steering wheel 90 degrees to the right, pull up the top cowling, to remove that, and you'll see the two screws holding the lower cowling which were hidden by your steering wheel...

remove the SINGLE lower screw on the bottom cowling which is underneath the lever you use to adjust the reach of the steering column

remove the two screws holding the lower steering cowl on by first turning wheel to the left and then turn to the opp side to remove the other screw

pull the cowling down and you'll see the module....
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:21 am »
look through this and it shows how to take it off...

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35449.0.html

That is most definitely NOT the way to remove a steering controller!!   There should be no need to reveal the circuit board.

I see no point in trying to get it out without removing the steering wheel either, even if you could which I'm not sure you could.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »
the 'point' of removing it without having to remove the steering wheel is that you wouldnt have to mess around with the airbag or clock spring, or having to mess around with the removal of the steering wheel....
its actually remarkably easier to pry out the circuit board than it is to remove the entire housing complete as it would otherwise involve disturbing the clock spring, both indicator stalks and all the airbag stuff thats involved therein....removing the stalks isnt as easy as its made out in the guide!
GONE

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »
the 'point' of removing it without having to remove the steering wheel is that you wouldnt have to mess around with the airbag or clock spring, or having to mess around with the removal of the steering wheel....

Having done more CC installations than I care to remember - well into 3 figures - I think I'm reasonably competent to make comment so perhaps we'll need to agree to disagree.

Removing the steering wheel isn't difficult and doesn't involve any risk of damage to the Slip Ring or Air Bag if done properly.  It's when you try to do something half cocked like take the Steering Controller apart that accidents happen. 

its actually remarkably easier to pry out the circuit board than it is to remove the entire housing complete as it would otherwise involve disturbing the clock spring, both indicator stalks and all the airbag stuff thats involved therein...

Again that's a matter up for debate.  Of course if you don't know what you are doing then it might appear easier to remove the Steering Controller in this way however as above it's not the correct way to do it and carries it's own risks.

You don't need to remove the Slip Ring or Indicator stalk to remove the steering controller so I fail to see your point here.

.removing the stalks isnt as easy as its made out in the guide!

Again with the correct tool and knowledge removing the Stalk is actually remarkably easy.

I can fit a CC from start finish in 15 minutes or less so I guess it's isn't that tricky!!
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:24:26 pm »
i guess thats where experience comes in then...lol

all i had to do on mine was change out the steering controller board and it seemed easier at the time to follow that guide kinda...to each his own  :smiley:
GONE

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »
I can fit a CC from start finish in 15 minutes or less so I guess it's isn't that tricky!!

I have to correct you that mate as I saw you do one in 8 minutes. Why 15 minutes does that get a cuppa and some bisquits thrown in?  :laugh:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 04:43:13 pm »
I must admit when you did mine Stu i think it only took you about 10 mins and that was with me asking questions  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »
 :signLOL:

Yeah but I'm a little older now so I don't get around so quick and I have to mind the paintwork with my Zimmer.  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:44 pm »
Ah yes good point there Ironside.  :laugh: