Make a donation

Author Topic: Autoglym-whats the problem?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Autoglym-whats the problem?
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »
I have a mate who's into his detailing big style.So much ,in fact, that he's doing it as a sideline business(and doing it quite well!),but he has something against using Autoglym products and tells folk off for using it!
I asked him why and he maintains that it's bad for staining plastics and that there are much better alternatives out there.
Now I use AG deep shine and Super resin polishes and have no problems with it.AG have been around for a while and have numerous endorsements from major manufacturers,so they must be doing something right!
So,is it a good product to use,or are there reasons(commercial or otherwise) why I shouldn't continue to use it?
He's so anti AG he's got me concerened about using the bloody stuff!

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Autoglym-whats the problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
One question: have you tried the alternatives?

MPS

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »
I have a mate who's into his detailing big style.So much ,in fact, that he's doing it as a sideline business(and doing it quite well!),but he has something against using Autoglym products and tells folk off for using it!
I asked him why and he maintains that it's bad for staining plastics and that there are much better alternatives out there.
Now I use AG deep shine and Super resin polishes and have no problems with it.AG have been around for a while and have numerous endorsements from major manufacturers,so they must be doing something right!
So,is it a good product to use,or are there reasons(commercial or otherwise) why I shouldn't continue to use it?
He's so anti AG he's got me concerened about using the bloody stuff!

I've noticed that also, there seems to be a helluva lot of haters of AG! How can it be that bad when it's used by Aston Martin, etc?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:11 pm »
Autoglym products, when used properly, can be very good.

SRP has come out on DW tests as one of the best for polishing by hand. AG HD wax is also highly regarded.

I love their fast glass and glass cleaner. Their bumper care one is okay but by no means perfect. You have to remember that AG is for the likes of the general public. Was having a chat with my boss and when he had a Porsche, he thought using AG meant you were the don!

For those i who are professionally/semi-professionally into detailing, there are millions of other products that do a far superior job. For joe public, it's fine.

Endorsements by the likes of Aston Martin IMO don't mean anything - just that there's been a deal done by them.

As for your mate, if he's any good, he should be able to give you the pros and cons of using AG rather than just sh*tting all over it. I've heard semi-pros talk in a similar way about Dodo Juice.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline n_d_fox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • OCD.etail - Facebook Page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:54:43 pm »
Agree with the above, in general AG products are fine for what they are. They have been around for a long time and for public resale they do what they say on the tin (so to speak).

IMO they definitely have their place in the kit bag but for the main i do use alternative products because they offer a more cost effective option to the hobbyist / semi pro detailer and generally give better results.
Parting the rush hour traffic like a diesel powered Moses !
OCD.etail - http://www.facebook.com/pages/OCDetail/174298162661463

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
Like all brands there are good an bad products.

I use their acid free wheel cleaner, glass cleaner (spray and cream), tar remover and super resin polish.

The super resin polish is probably the best all in one cleaner, wax prep I have used and the new formula is dust free which helps. On its own it doesn't last long but as a prep for a wax or sealant its excellent.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »
One question: have you tried the alternatives?

Yes,I have.
I have some Dodo juice samples waxes (deep purple,blue something and carnuba),Poorboys wheel sealant,Chemical guys sealant,claybars,some Menzerna samples and a PorterCable DA machine.
Just some stuff I've bought to try out over the years. :smiley:

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »
Its all in the Prep Work.... that is all.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:25:57 pm »
I have/had loads of Autoglym products over the years & never had any problems with them.There HD wax is fantastic & worth every penny.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline GTI Leeds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:02:00 pm »
I have/had loads of Autoglym products over the years & never had any problems with them.There HD wax is fantastic & worth every penny.

I'll second that  :happy2:

Offline rahat118

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »
the super resin polish is amazing!

Saintsteve

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »
the super resin polish is amazing!

There's a new version of this out now. It's ment to be alot better then the old formula.

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »
yeah i find the SRP excellent on my white car. a cat jumped on the bonnet and left claw marks but this got them out really good. was very pleased with it and it gets rid of tar/fall out really easy too.

i also use the rubber cleaner to do the interior and engine bat and its very good. my interior looks class - when i see other golfs I'm amazed how dull and grey the interior is.

AG de icer is top stuff too.

i think its just snobbery really when people slag AG. for the average home DIY detailer its as good as anything.

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 06:13:22 pm »
No expert by ambling shot but I used auto glym clay bar, srp, hd wax and extra protection today and the results are A1 no complaints. I have used dodo purple haze, fecela, megs, Nielsen and find AG equally as good. This is just my opinion just as a guy that likes cleaning my car, no pro.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:01 am »
I have no hate towards AG - some of their products are good for the task i need them for like the EGP and some are shine-a-light like their spray on wheel sealant  :grin:

It's all about reading what experiences folks have had with a product for a particular task, if on balance it sounds like it's good and comes with some recommendations who cares who makes it, i'm pretty sure none of us DIY-ers are ever gonna get a sponsorship deal just because we are brand loyal to a manufacturer  :laugh: