Make a donation

Author Topic: Let's talk clutches!  (Read 4588 times)

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: Let's talk clutches!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:39:28 am »
 ^^^^^ :happy2:

So will that be covered under a warranty, hasn't done it's job at all  :mad:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:53 am »
does not sound good, mine is fine on the ED30 maybe rated to 400lb though?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:21:55 pm »
Problem with a warranty claim is i have to have the clutch removed and  another fitted all costing time and money, then sent back to germany for testing just for them to tell me its been abused or its just genaeral wear and tear. The thing is how do you put warranty on a clutch. All i do know is i wont have another, new south for me next.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 01:17:30 pm »
Exactly! the warranty on clutch is really pointless unless it covers subsittute car for the whole period and all work related to removing and refitting it... I heard great news on south bend and not so great unfortunately on sachs.... Obviously the users sample would be bigger with Sachs I would assume but still...

The rattle doesn't really bother my as with THS all mounts it's really rattly as it is but only on idle. It's always the trade off between comfort and driving experience and comfort vs reliability as DMF was introduced to make diesels smoother..... but more expensive due to relaibility of DMF vs SMF

Come on guys, more opinions welcome. How many memebrs we have here - almost 5000 thousand and majority with mapped cars!

Thanks for all the replies so far
Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
Problem with a warranty claim is i have to have the clutch removed and  another fitted all costing time and money, then sent back to germany for testing just for them to tell me its been abused or its just genaeral wear and tear. The thing is how do you put warranty on a clutch. All i do know is i wont have another, new south for me next.
Exactly! the warranty on clutch is really pointless unless it covers subsittute car for the whole period and all work related to removing and refitting it... I heard great news on south bend and not so great unfortunately on sachs.... Obviously the users sample would be bigger with Sachs I would assume but still...

The rattle doesn't really bother my as with THS all mounts it's really rattly as it is but only on idle. It's always the trade off between comfort and driving experience and comfort vs reliability as DMF was introduced to make diesels smoother..... but more expensive due to relaibility of DMF vs SMF

Come on guys, more opinions welcome. How many memebrs we have here - almost 5000 thousand and majority with mapped cars!

Thanks for all the replies so far
Paul

Some really good info in here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12080.45.html

Also one of the lads did get his kit replaced for being faulty. Don't think you should just roll over and take it  :booty:

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 10:59:18 pm »
I've got a Sachs fitted, I went for another DMF as I didn't want any rattle. The clutch is stiffer than stock but you don't notice it in everyday driving but in heavy start stop traffic it hurts my knee a bit  :ashamed:
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 11:24:48 am »
I have a Southbend with SMF in mine. Yes is does rattle, but I dont see why its an issue?

A stage 2 friction plate was fitted when my Stage 3 was installed(!), but that started slipping after 2 years, so changed to a stage 4 metallic friction plate. Tad more aggressive but not an issue at all.

I tried two newer Cupra's with a Sachs and a helix I think, and I am sure the pedal was ligher on mine.

EDIT: looking at soundbend's now, looks like they have changed the 'stage'  numbers. I am sure Stage 4 uesd to be 400something ftlb
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:33:07 am by DanGB »
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »
I have a Southbend with SMF in mine. Yes is does rattle, but I dont see why its an issue?

Kids & missus  :mad:  :signLOL:

@Stevep which kit did you go for? I've been looking at JBS and Darkside Devolpments

Trying to source the "slient" kit, but nobody so far seems to know about it  :confused:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:40:11 pm by fab5freddy »

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 02:32:48 pm »
Did you mail USP? They will get back to you very quickly Jeff is sh*t hot with info, the clutch will be on your doorstep within 2wks and probably cheaper than you can get them here inc tax. Cheers, Stevie.

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 02:50:35 pm »
Jeff@uspmotorsports.com worth a chat see what he can do for you.  :drinking:

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:42 pm »

Thanks Stevie  :happy2:

Yeah had a look at the web site, no mention of "silent" SMF kit

Just getting prices in and working out whose cheapest

I'll drop them a mail  :drinking:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:14 pm »

Thanks Stevie  :happy2:

Yeah had a look at the web site, no mention of "silent" SMF kit

Just getting prices in and working out whose cheapest

I'll drop them a mail  :drinking:

James , did you get one from USP. Can you PM me with your experiences ta

Offline JamesG

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »
I have a sachs smf fitted which was supposed to be the silent type/revised (or so the advert said) but on fitting the dealer phoned me up straight away and said we've just test drove your car and theres a rattle on over run from the clutch so i called the company i bought it from and they said that it needed beded in for 300 miles then get back to them if not happy. To be fair it has quitened down dramaticly but i can still hear a little bit of chatter when wynding down after giving it some beans, but on idle and day to day driving it's silent and so far so good. (5 months on)
Pirelli Edition:- APR stage 2+ map,Revo/BSH intake,Autotech hpfp internals,3" downpipe & de-cat,Sachs uprated clutch with smf conversion,H&R springs,race spec superpro polly bushes. 348bhp 360lbft.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 07:13:41 pm »
I have had the Sachs uprated with SMF for 3 years and wouldn't recommend it to any as it won't let me shift fast and at high rev.
I would consider the LOBA clutchpack with their own SMF, it's also 33% cheaper than the Sachs SMF solution.
Some here in Denmark has bad experiences with the Southbend clutches, so i would avoid that.
My next clutch will be the SPEC eventhough VrsAlex has had some bad customerservice, BNAutoteknik has a good line of communication with them.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »
I have had the Sachs uprated with SMF for 3 years and wouldn't recommend it to any as it won't let me shift fast and at high rev.
I would consider the LOBA clutchpack with their own SMF, it's also 33% cheaper than the Sachs SMF solution.
Some here in Denmark has bad experiences with the Southbend clutches, so i would avoid that.
My next clutch will be the SPEC eventhough VrsAlex has had some bad customerservice, BNAutoteknik has a good line of communication with them.

whats the SPEC clutch jake?