Make a donation

Author Topic: Run in with sky tv  (Read 2379 times)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Run in with sky tv
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:03 pm »
I phoned sky earlier as I was interested in upgrading my sky+ HD box to the new sky+ HD 1bt box, I had previously looked at the box info on their website, also I was wrongly under the impression it would cost me £49 for the box and £15 for delivery which I was happy to pay. After phoning them, I was told it would the price is £149 for the box as I am just upgrading the box and not taking out another viewing package or  another multiroom.  They said if I was a normal sky+ customer, the box would have been £49, had a discussion with them with me saying how can it be right charging me £100 more for a box that they are giving to customers on a lower package for a cheaper price, got told usual customer services drivel, sorry but we can't do anything about it.

Phoned my cousin who was also going to get the box and who has the same package as me and told him what had happened, he said I should ring them back and say I want to cancel my subscription, si I gave it a go and explained why I wanted to cancel to the customer services agent who sympathised but offered no help and then got put through to the cancellation department, I explained the situation again, let me see what I can do for you, got asked various questions about what age my children are, would I take out another multiroom subscription for my daughters room, would I upgrade my movie package for all movie channels, I said no way, I am willing to pay the £49 for the box but am not agreeing to pay a penny more on my subscription.

After a lot of humming and haaing, I got the box for £49 + delivery charge.

I find it bang out of order that they expect customers already on a sky+ HD package to pay £149 for the box but give it to customers on a lower package for a lot cheaper. I pay £88 a month for sky and don't expect them to take liberties. If anybody on a sky+ HD package is looking to get the new box, ring them up and threaten to leave and get it at the price they should be charging, as my cousin said, they will do anything to keep customers.

Rant over :mad:

Saintsteve

Re: Run in with sky tv
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:35:46 pm »
Sky are a business to make money if they can. Not having multiroom means they won't recoup the cost of the terabyte Hd box within a 12 month contract

What people forget is, this box costs sky just under £200 to produce/ship and sometimes costs in sending me (sky Engineer) to install.

My rant over :signLOL:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:46 pm »
£88 a month? Are you mental?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »

^^ x2 - thats over a grand a year!  You could buy five 1tb boxes outright for that on your existing subs!  BONKERS! :stupid:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:49 pm »
Mines £76 a month.

But it does include line rental, free evening & weekend calls, broadband, skysports & hd

I guess it is a lot but we're all guilty of wasting money on things that we get enjoyment out of! I.e cars!

:smiley:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:21:06 pm by GTsport »

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »

^^ x2 - thats over a grand a year!  You could buy five 1tb boxes outright for that on your existing subs!  BONKERS! :stupid:

That £88 also includes telephone, broadband and Sky world subscriptions, along with Sky Go and Anytime + on demand.

Combine all three of your telephone, broadband and pay tv if you have it, and that will be close to a grand  :P

With 5 hd boxes as you say TT, that will give you less then a handful of channels.Thats if of course you like to watch the tv if your not being a Warrior on the Internet 24/7  :signLOL:

when you add all the services up separately, it's not too bad a deal for what you get.

We enjoy different things in life, some pee it up the wall, others spend it on creature comforts at home. I know where I'd rather spend it on..... Apart from 10.5 million subscribers keeping me in a job  :grin:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:19:01 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:19:09 pm »
I remember when I used to pay $ky just £5.99 a month for $ky Sports - I gave em hell when they put it up to £6.99 a month!  :popcornsoda:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »
I remember when I used to pay $ky just £5.99 a month for $ky Sports - I gave em hell when they put it up to £6.99 a month!  :popcornsoda:
The days of 4 channels have changed Shaun... Add a few 0's to that now  :signLOL:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:43 pm »
I went to sky last year (was with virgin) and they agreed to match my current package spec for the same price.

Engineer turned up to install, made a right mess of it, left nails on the drive, drilled holes through walls leaving draughts etc...

Then I rang to ask why HD channels didn't work only to be told it would cost an extra £20 a month for HD :confused: after loads of hassle I went back to Virgin and got a TiVo box. I get a better package with Virgin that would cost £87 with sky, and as Virgin were happy to have my custom I'm paying just £44 a month.

There are a few channels on sky I would like, but I can watch these online if I want.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:11 pm »
My old man threw our box our in a rant yearsss ago  :signLOL: I'm thinking about freesat hd+

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:36 pm »
I'm taking the mickey - slightly.  Oh, but weren't the German late night channels good, though?  :wink:

But in all serious, if someone is paying Sky £88 a month, irrespective their actual 'package', then they really should get the very latest top-spec box for free.  And you quote the 1tb is £200 - surely that is a 'retail' price, cost price to Sky is probably more like £35-£40.  And a 1tb HD install will be no different to an existing 250 or 500gb HD box??
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:36:30 pm »
I went to sky last year (was with virgin) and they agreed to match my current package spec for the same price.

Engineer turned up to install, made a right mess of it, left nails on the drive, drilled holes through walls leaving draughts etc...

Then I rang to ask why HD channels didn't work only to be told it would cost an extra £20 a month for HD :confused: after loads of hassle I went back to Virgin and got a TiVo box. I get a better package with Virgin that would cost £87 with sky, and as Virgin were happy to have my custom I'm paying just £44 a month.

There are a few channels on sky I would like, but I can watch these online if I want.

You obviously live in a cabled area - for those of us who don't, we have to bend over and take one up the hoop from Sky, or give up and resort to the shyte that is Freeview!
------

Saintsteve

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 06:37:11 am »
These boxes TT are shipped in from Japan, so shipping costs alone cost a heck of alot more than £35-40 I can assure you.

These boxes are currently a rarity at the moment, due to the floods last year, there is currently a massive short fall in availability ,due to the hard drive production factory in Japan being washed away..

True cost to sky for a HD terabyte is £187.

I'm staff and the cheapest I can get a TB box is £149. But I don't pay anything a month for subs for all tv,broadband and talk, although tell a lie, I pay £13 and that's my line rental, and that's it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:40:30 am by Saintsteve »

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »
virgin ftw, I might be slightly biased as I'm an engineer for them haha
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »
virgin ftw, I might be slightly biased as I'm an engineer for them haha
And you get it on mates rates or better!!
Andy
7R