Make a donation

Author Topic: "Tailgate open" alert...... boot is shut.....  (Read 2210 times)

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
"Tailgate open" alert...... boot is shut.....
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:51:22 am »
Hi All,

Seems I only get to post on here these days when an issue crops up, so sorry  :ashamed:

However, I've had an issue crop up with my MY05 GTI concerning the tailgate.
The MFD indicates that the tailgate is open (and the red light crops up on the dash).
Needless to say, the boot is shut.

I've tried opening/shutting the boot a few times just in case it's a bit of dirt  in the switch (I'm assuming it's concerning the micro-switch in the boot-lock mechanism). To no avail.

It's getting awkward now, as I can't use the rear wash/wiper due to the car thinking the boot's open!!  :grin:

Any suggestions?

IS it the microswitch (think they're about £8 from VW)? or does this just control the courtesy light in the boot?

Some advice would be MOST appreciated :grin:

Cheers,

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
Re: "Tailgate open" alert...... boot is shut.....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »
anybody? BOING!!!  :grin:

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: "Tailgate open" alert...... boot is shut.....
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »
Its certainly a common problem on mk4's and polo's.  Cause is usually the rear wash pipe has popped off and has soaked the switch.  If you can get the switch separately thats a boost as the VAG design is normally to incorporate it into the latch mechanism which usually means a whole new latch.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant