Make a donation

Author Topic: SORN and insurance  (Read 1730 times)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
SORN and insurance
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:25:22 pm »
I have a golf Tdi which my sister has been using for the last few months, now she has bought herself a new car she doesn't need it anymore. I don't really want to sell it at the moment as I may change jobs soon and might need it as I live out in the sticks and might have a longer commute to work for which I would use the Tdi. My sisters insurance runs out on the 16th feb and I was wondering do I need to keep the vehicle insured if I declare it off road?? I would be keeping it In a garage if that makes any difference.

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: SORN and insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »
You do not need to insure the car if you are keeping it declared sorn and its stored in a garage. If the car was parked publicly, you could be required to insure the vehicle due to liability.

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:32:42 pm »
I think I'm right in saying that you can't sorn a taxed car that is not insured.  If the car is uninsured when you complete the sorn, the tax disc has to be returned at the same time for refund.

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:34:57 pm »
You do not need to insure the car if you are keeping it declared sorn and its stored in a garage. If the car was parked publicly, you could be required to insure the vehicle due to liability.

Thanks Deako, the garage is at my parents house, so there I wouldn't have to insure it. What about if I kept it at my house on my drive way, would it need to be kept insured then??

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that my parents live 200 miles away and I might bring it home if I could keep it on my drive uninsured. Would just have to put up with the risk of it being stolen.

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »
I think I'm right in saying that you can't sorn a taxed car that is not insured.  If the car is uninsured when you complete the sorn, the tax disc has to be returned at the same time for refund.

Tax runs out at the end of march, so wouldn't be nothing major

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »
Have a look at this:  http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696?CID=Continuous_Insurance&PLA=DM&CRE=Furl

Thank you for the help, I need to improve my searching techniques because I couldn't find what info I wanted

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
since they changed the law its sh*t as u cant have it sat round mot'd n taxed anymore like b4 unless its insured if that makes sense  :signLOL:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 06:56:37 pm »

Thanks Deako, the garage is at my parents house, so there I wouldn't have to insure it. What about if I kept it at my house on my drive way, would it need to be kept insured then??

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that my parents live 200 miles away and I might bring it home if I could keep it on my drive uninsured. Would just have to put up with the risk of it being stolen.

Should be fine, as long as theres no chance the car could ever roll off the drive in the road for any reason.

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »

Should be fine, as long as theres no chance the car could ever roll off the drive in the road for any reason.

Thanks, drive is down sloped so no worries there and I might buy a clamp if I keep it at home to try and stop it getting stolen

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:29:29 pm »
Providing its on private land I.e your drive you'll be fine. It's just if it was on a public road.

Its just if it gets stolen - like you say it'd be worth clamping it or putting it in a garage.  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:54:57 pm »
I think that is tosh.  I can SORN my motorbike with or without valid insurance!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »
I've changed my insurance to theft only when I had a car off the road before. If it's garaged the insurance should be super cheap.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 10:44:42 pm »
Why would SORN cars need a tax disc ? Basically it's very difficult to hunt down cars without tax and insurance so they changed the rules so they can fine dodgers just based on the database. I guess this is the flip side to that.