Make a donation

Author Topic: Downpipe installation cost - minus any diagnostics  (Read 2589 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Downpipe installation cost - minus any diagnostics
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a downpipe coming my way this week  :smiley: and I was wondering because I don't have any a.stands or ramps and not a suitable driveway to do install myself what is a good or 'sounds about right' price to pay just for the installation. Realistically I can't see how it would be much as its not a major job.

Would anyone say go to kwick fit or other main brand garage as its a more fixed price or recommend a more average joe kinda garage. I have two mechanics that I have stuff done with - one for my mot (family friend so always comes out a little cheaper than going main) who will only do that and not touch modifications etc and another near where I work who will do a good job but extra favours apart from a little discount. I don't want the price to include any diagnostics or mechanics doing what I can have done with vagcom.

Input appreciated.

:happy2:

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Downpipe installation cost - minus any diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:43 pm »
1 hour or 1.5 hours if you take your time i.e first attempt at doing it.

You can get to 3 of the 4 turbo flange bolts from above with a decent length extension on your ratchet whick leaves a few simple ones from underneath for the last flange nut, the support bracket and joint to centre section.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »
My Indy did it for £75 but he had to cut it so I could reinstall my cat pipe if MOT stuff changes.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:53:02 pm »
hmmm, im tempted to give it a go perhaps but then it's too cold to be lying on the floor at a friends house so I am tempted to pay for a garage to do it.. if you think it should take an hour to two then it shouldn't really be much more than £100? If it turns out more then I'll just wait until its a bit warmer.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:22:50 pm »
There a bitch to do mate, let someone else do it it aint woth the hasltle of being in your arse for an hour and a half. And if you snap a stud your in deep do do. I do most things myself but like i said i couldn't be arsed to be laid in my back for that length of time. Getting too old :signLOL:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »
Hmm well iv ordered some ramps which was long overdue which means i can do the odd bits and pieces and all fluid changes  :smiley: and ill wait for my quote from some mechanics and see what happens. if its closer to the 150 mark then i will do it myself and book a few days of and follow the guides iv foubd

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:06 pm »
There a bitch to do mate, let someone else do it it aint woth the hasltle of being in your arse for an hour and a half. And if you snap a stud your in deep do do. I do most things myself but like i said i couldn't be arsed to be laid in my back for that length of time. Getting too old :signLOL:

+1, can't be bothered without ramps

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »
The quality of the replacement downpipe and the ease with which it'll mate to the existing system will dictate how easy it is to change.

My stock one was easy to remove - took about 15 minutes the first time I did it, as it's pretty easy to get at the manifold bolts from above. Rear mounted exhausts tend not to be too bad for rusting in place. My last car had 150k on it, the manifold had never been removed and it came undone with no bother at all.

With the benefit of a ramp / 4-poster / pit I'd say 1hour maximum if it is a simple straight swap.

You'll need ramps with a very shallow angle on them - it's rare for a modern car to have enough clearance to drive on to ramps like these:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:26:46 pm by alackofspeed »