Make a donation

Author Topic: Cupra or Evo X ?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Cupra or Evo X ?
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:18:05 pm »
I cant make up my mind. As I'm sure some of you know I currently have a MK2 Cupra with a raft of mods. I'm just about to get a Shark, Revo, or APR map applied to take advantage of all the bolt-ons.

The trouble is that I've had a raft of performance cars over the last 15 years or so, and of them all my Evo 7 was my favorite, followed by my last motor an RS6. Since the Evo X was realesed i've been dying to get one, (my wife has not) but I really like the Cupra. Thing is I just cant seem to shake that no matter how much power I get from the car its a waste through only the front wheels. The evo, impreza, rs6, and the mazda6 MPS i've had have all been 4wd and some with less power have been quicker than the Cupra.

From your experiences how does the Mk5 drive with 350ish bhp at the wheels, is it a waste, am i going to get nailed by every impreza or evo I meet ?

If i do decide to sell up, how easy is it to sell with mods already applied ? I know I wont get back what I've spent but if I had it up for say £500 more than a similar stocker would it sell or do the mods put off alot of people ? In the past I've always stripped the bits off and gone back to stock first but I not sure I can be bothered this time ?

Your thoughts would be gratefully received :happy2:   
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Cupra or Evo X ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:23:49 pm »
Mods will be a piece of cake to sell.

The Cupra is a really entertaining drive with all that power as you have to harness it, unlike the point and squirt 4wd cars which you have to drive really quickly to enjoy at license loosin speeds.

Point to point a 4wd car is always going to be quicker. Straight line duels and a stage 2 plus k04 will shock alot of cars.

Try the Evo x and see how that makes you feel though I suppose, but you might find you miss the Cupra at times, I still think about mine!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:52:52 pm »
My ed30 is useless in 2nd and 3rd and 4th gear until I fitted the walk and got some decent tyres I can grip in 2nd now and 3rd is fine, I don't drive like a loon rhy much and don't race on roads but on the slip road off the M5 the other day I had to stop accelerating not to hit the 59 plate scooby Sti in front of me, and he was full chat, even waved me off to keep going  :signLOL:

A stage 2+ k04 is very good fun  :driver: 

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:35 pm »
I had a few passenger rides around Castle Combe circuit a couple of years ago in the REVO demo mk2 Leon Cupra driven by a pro race driver. That car put the power down very well and was very refined and yet had immense performance for a road car with not that many mods.
Andy
7R

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »
Would I build a fast/powerfull FWD car again? No.
Do I miss my stg2+ ed30? Yes!
Would I have an EVO? No, not my thing really.

See if you can get a drive/ride in a stg2+ fwd car, if its dry it will be great, in the wet not so much. If you have all of the mods on why not utilise the 30 day free trial that most tuners offer, this way you can make your mind up with no financial risk.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:29:42 pm »
Or you could try an S3 or Golf .:R

VAG quality and 4WD too. :happy2:

Plus all the engine bolt ons swap over apart from the zorst.
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »
Ive driven both.  not a fan of the Evo engine (FQ300) that i drove, felt really laggy.  The TFSI engine is much better.

BUT

The handling, steering, brakes and chassis etc are sublime and light years ahead of Cupra or any other mk5 chassis.

Interior wise, both are equally unattractive inside. 

Cupra cheaper to run, Evo better to rive, tough choice :happy2:

Offline Turbosteve

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »
Well I have had a few over the years too, including  a 400hp Evo which I loved to bits but cost a fortune to run.... If I was to go down that root again I would have an RS6 ...... Brilliant and I think slightly more refind than the Evo.
Atb
Steve

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 02:46:35 pm »
Thing about the rs6 is that they are so heavy though. BT Golf R/S3 or a rs3?

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:19:58 pm »
Thing about the rs6 is that they are so heavy though. BT Golf R/S3 or a rs3?
Get the golf R over the S3, RS3 over the golf R....sport back tho  :sick:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »
Well I have had a few over the years too, including  a 400hp Evo which I loved to bits but cost a fortune to run.... If I was to go down that root again I would have an RS6 ...... Brilliant and I think slightly more refind than the Evo.
Atb
Steve

The RS6 was just to juicy, it managed only 21mpg on the motorway, and averaged about 14mpg around town.  It was to heavy as well, massivly quick in a straight line BUT not to clever around the bends. What was you EVO ? I like the X because you can easily achieve 400bhp and its still a relatively refined car.

Golf R is just too pricey IMO, and I'm not too keen on the S3.

I think I'll go ahead with the map anyway, as it is the wife still needs convincing (read wearing down) so it could be a couple of months. Graeme from GNJ motorsport is offering me a good deal  on an STS and shark stage 3 map so i think i'll just go ahead and order it.

cheers for the advice chaps :happy2:
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline WT007

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 07:16:17 pm »
RS6BRIT i have also done the evo and subaru thing and a fue other 4wd cars for me i love the 4 wheel drive and miss it loads.  I only have a k03 gti and it drives me mad that it cant put the power down.

To have a fwd car with 350hp is a no no IMO.

This year it will be going and a 4wd car will replace it but choice is limited as after having DSG i will only get a car with this.

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »
RS6BRIT i have also done the evo and subaru thing and a fue other 4wd cars for me i love the 4 wheel drive and miss it loads.  I only have a k03 gti and it drives me mad that it cant put the power down.

To have a fwd car with 350hp is a no no IMO.

This year it will be going and a 4wd car will replace it but choice is limited as after having DSG i will only get a car with this.

Yep an SST would fit the bill for me as well. I've always said that i wouldn't have an auto/semi auto, BUT, the RS6 was just that and both me and the wife loved it and its another thing i really miss. The SST/DSG boxes are so much quicker than that on the RS6 that to me it must be even better.

She (the wife) made a comment that leads me to believe that im heading in the right direction now :happy2:
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »
I am running a conservative 325bhp through the front wheels of my K04 Octavia and have the WALK, a Quaife ATB diff and one or two other handling mods. Thankfully I didn't do all this to do drag racing from a standstill against EVOs or Scoobies; it would be a struggle in the dry and...to answer your point...a complete embarrasment and waste of time in the wet. TBH, I'm 42 years old and look like a complete kn0b trying it anyway  :ashamed: I have considered/am considering 255 35 R18 wheels/tyres if I can get them to fit but have more or less resigned myself to accepting, as others have, that a FWD with a lot of power just ain't meant for that kind of driving.

When on the move though, it has left a few Scooby drivers with sad faces  :wink:

Back to your question, I don't think 350 bhp is a complete waste through the front wheels but I do think it ultimately comes down to what kind of driving you want to do - drag racing or grown-up stuff  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:34:41 pm by muckipup »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »
on the roll from 30mph in the dry 350bhp through the front wheels isnt an issue!