Make a donation

Author Topic: Cupra or Evo X ?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Cupra or Evo X ?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:03:25 pm »
on the roll from 30mph in the dry 350bhp through the front wheels isnt an issue!

unless its damp, raining, snowing or icey, which lets face it is more common than dry in this country. I have to say that i am a straight line bandit, as much as i like twisty country lanes. Slip roads, traffic lights and duel carriage ways ( in non built up areas) are my prefer'd  haunts, I love acceleration and its safer in a straight line (especially when i have the wife and kids in the car, which is most of the time).

I think I've answered my own question (with more than a little help form you guys) :happy2:

Cheers chaps 
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:36:02 am »
If you think the RS6 was a little too thirsty your not looking at an Evo X with fully open eyes lol, my mate has the EVO X (and its modded a fair bit) and he tells me he rarely gets more than 20mpg even when driven steady  :scared:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Turbosteve

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:12 pm »
The RS6 was just to juicy, it managed only 21mpg on the motorway, and averaged about 14mpg around town.  It was to heavy as well, massivly quick in a straight line BUT not to clever around the bends. What was you EVO ? I like the X because you can easily achieve 400bhp and its still a relatively refined car.

Golf R is just too pricey IMO, and I'm not too keen on the S3.

I think I'll go ahead with the map anyway, as it is the wife still needs convincing (read wearing down) so it could be a couple of months. Graeme from GNJ motorsport is offering me a good deal  on an STS and shark stage 3 map so i think i'll just go ahead and order it.

cheers for the advice chaps :happy2:
[/quote]

I had the Evo 8 FQ300 and ADR Motorsprot played with it for me.... they ran the Evo rally cars in those days.... i had it live mapped by them and a few other mods.... was brilliant.
ATB
Steve

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:16 pm »
If you think the RS6 was a little too thirsty your not looking at an Evo X with fully open eyes lol, my mate has the EVO X (and its modded a fair bit) and he tells me he rarely gets more than 20mpg even when driven steady  :scared:

I'm not doubting its bad, but id be surprised if its that much worse than the cupra, both are 2.0T lumps. Id say that 28mpg on a run would be easily doable, thats only about 4 to the gallon worse than now.

It wasn't just the fuel, it was the insurance, and warranty. A warranty was a must as at 10k for a gearbox it could almost be a write off if it went. I'm not saying that an SST box would be cheaper, but they are newer, handle less power (in standard), and can be more cheaply covered by a warranty company as they are a newer car.
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:30 pm »
I considered the EVO and some tricked out Scoobies, but the servicing regime is a killer

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:43 pm »
I considered the EVO and some tricked out Scoobies, but the servicing regime is a killer

not on a x its 12k

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:14 am »

I'm not doubting its bad, but id be surprised if its that much worse than the cupra, both are 2.0T lumps. Id say that 28mpg on a run would be easily doable, thats only about 4 to the gallon worse than now.
Are you sure?  The VAG 2.0 TFSI uses direct injection, which is both more economical, and more importantly, considerably more proven.  I'm not sure if the Evo X uses direct injection or not - but remember, Mitsubishi actually invented this technology - but could never actually get it to work properly (they had considerable GDI engine failures) - it was Audi which properly developed direct injection into what we have today.

It wasn't just the fuel, it was the insurance, and warranty. A warranty was a must as at 10k for a gearbox it could almost be a write off if it went. I'm not saying that an SST box would be cheaper, but they are newer, handle less power (in standard), and can be more cheaply covered by a warranty company as they are a newer car.
Which RS6 are you referring to?

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't say the RS6 trannys are unreliable - they are made by ZF - the worlds largest transmission manufacturer by a long margin.  The SST is made (I think) by Getrag - who make superb manual boxes, but have no experience in auto boxes or mechatronics.  The SST is extremely niche, and whilst it may be newer than a C5 auto, is nowhere near as 'proven'.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 03:53:36 pm »
Agree  :happy2:....with the caveat of having decent tyres

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »
Interesting article on the Evo X here - http://www.dctfacts.com/archive/2009/mitsubishi-evo-x.aspx
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~