Make a donation

Author Topic: Detailing Products  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Detailing Products
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:35 pm »
If your wet sanding, or just correcting the paint - there is a mind field of products available................its blowing my mind (doesn't take much) lol

- Different types of cutting agents and pads.

I have google a lot and looked on DW but still not sure what would be best for my car.

How have you guys determined which pad and what cutting paste (polish) best suites you car?

Maybe a dumb question - surely there is only so much correction you can do before you start to hit the paint itself?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Detailing Products
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »
The way I do it is to select the lightest cut pad/polish first.

If that's not getting the results I want then move up a step.

I've seen some detailers try out 6 or 7 different combinations before they are happy!!.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31784.0.html

TR DSG Gti- K04, TTRS Brakes, BBS, H&R, RNS, Xenons, Leather, Ed30 Front lip, US Smooth Grill, RVC, Miltek, WALK, Loads of Forge bits + lots more.

Offline Daffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »
Experiment is the key. What works well for one won't necessairily work for another. I like the scholl and 3m polishes at the minute but Menzerna are also quite good. Climate conditions also impact on how well they work. As for pads again I like the 3m range but it is a personal choice.
As you appear not to have done any detailing I would stay away from wetsanding until you have gained plenty of valuable experience with a Da and then a rotary.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:10:49 pm »
OOoooo not planning to wet sand buddy  :scared:

Basically my car is tired - I really need to give it a FULL detail (as best as I can) to decide come summer, is my car in need of a paint job.

I'm just trying to work out pads and pastes

3m < so many different grades of pads to use
Pastes < the same

If I pick an abrasive pad and strong cutting paste will I take too much laq' off........

DA < for starter..............rotary for the pro's ?

So whats made you like/fancy scholl's 3m's ? how do you know how abbrasive to go on your car?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:26 pm »
Honestly, save yourself some hassle and get it done professionally. Once you have a decent base to start from, it's easier to keep things in good condition. 

Speak to RussZS or Greeners - both are based in the west midlands.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »
Have spoken to Russ buddy, more than happy to come and have a look at it for me.....

It would just be nice to have some base knowlege and a good cleaning process in place to it looking good - I think my caveman style approach is just making it worse.

Would be nice to do it myself for nothing more than 'feeling of proudness'  if you get my meaning,

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:16 am »
Honestly, save yourself some hassle and get it done professionally. Once you have a decent base to start from, it's easier to keep things in good condition. 

Speak to RussZS or Greeners - both are based in the west midlands.

Stealth is right, it's not very hard to go wrong but when it does sometimes you can just get away with it and sometimes you need to get your wallet out  :signLOL:
Get it done by a detailer then just maintain it  :happy2:
The money you can spend on products can cost more than having it done!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:13:09 am »
That is why Jack is coming down to clean my car :wink:

Offline rolfgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:18 pm »
well worth the money if u can afford the proffesionals!
alot less tiring too lol!

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »
where are you from Jonny?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 12:50:20 am »
Birmingham chap