Make a donation

Author Topic: Continental ContiSportContact 5P  (Read 23387 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Continental ContiSportContact 5P
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »

I used to run my mk5 r32 on 40psi as recommended, but found the centres wore quicker(sign of overinflation) dropped to 39psi and wore evenly...
Hmmmm . . . an adjustment of ONE psi will not alter wear patterns!

What tyres were you using?

Was using Michelin Exaltos on the R32... (shame they don't still make them).... and yes from my experience 1 psi did make ALL the difference...
Ahhhhh.  The Exalto were probably a bit borderline for the R32.  The Exaltos were really designed for probably lighter hot hatches - something like an Astra SRI, or Polo GTI - the Golf GTI is probably their upper limit, and I'd say that the heavier R32 was pushing their boundaries.

Can you remember if you had the 'Extra Load' (XL) tyres, or had some dodgy person fitted the non XL tyres, as the non XL will be a lot more susceptable to pressure changes (when used on a car where XL boots are specified).

Maybe the 5's are no good for the RS4, but for a golf gti they are perfectly adequate and a match to any michelin or pirelli alternative.
We all have our own opinions and desires . . . some peeps never had a problem with the Dunflop Shyte Maxx, other peeps rave about Pirelli P-Zeros.  It would be boring if we all liked the same thing.  :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »
i have fitted  yankie conti's  where i used to work
Oh dear . . . care to name them?  :grin:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »
national company Kwik fit--i left as i used to have to many arguements with the manager in conning customers with things they didn't need

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 04:42:01 pm »

I used to run my mk5 r32 on 40psi as recommended, but found the centres wore quicker(sign of overinflation) dropped to 39psi and wore evenly...

Was using Michelin Exaltos on the R32... (shame they don't still make them).... and yes from my experience 1 psi did make ALL the difference...

Ahhhhh.  The Exalto were probably a bit borderline for the R32.  The Exaltos were really designed for probably lighter hot hatches - something like an Astra SRI, or Polo GTI - the Golf GTI is probably their upper limit, and I'd say that the heavier R32 was pushing their boundaries.

Can you remember if you had the 'Extra Load' (XL) tyres, or had some dodgy person fitted the non XL tyres, as the non XL will be a lot more susceptable to pressure changes (when used on a car where XL boots are specified).

Maybe the 5's are no good for the RS4, but for a golf gti they are perfectly adequate and a match to any michelin or pirelli alternative.
We all have our own opinions and desires . . . some peeps never had a problem with the Dunflop Shyte Maxx, other peeps rave about Pirelli P-Zeros.  It would be boring if we all liked the same thing.  :wink:

I'm sure they were 92Y, as I was shocked my edition 30 came with 88W or something...

I know, each to their own opinions, but just wanted to give a different opinion as people read this and go oh no crap tyres when actually they're pretty good on the golf imo...

But was shocked of the high tyre pressure you were running...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »
If you liked the PS2 you will love the PSS.

I don't know if they have an 'E' marking, but Michelin makes the PSS (in France)
in 225/45 R17 and 225/40 R18 for the US market. Crazy thing though.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 09:45:24 pm »
national company Kwik fit--i left as i used to have to many arguements with the manager in conning customers with things they didn't need
Ha ha . . . why am I not surprised at that!  :evilgrin:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »

I'm sure they were 92Y, as I was shocked my edition 30 came with 88W or something...
Your Eddie was obviously second hand - or had winter tyres on it! :laugh:

I know, each to their own opinions, but just wanted to give a different opinion as people read this and go oh no crap tyres when actually they're pretty good on the golf imo...
ETTO and all that - and yes, they do have some 'redeeming' features - but braking away as easily as they do on roundabouts is just a big no no . . . . I expected better from Continental . . . maybe they just ought to stick to bicycle tyres and timing belts!  :rolleye:

But was shocked of the high tyre pressure you were running...
I am very heavy on my brakes - and have run many cars at high pressures on the front.  I just detest it when the front end squirms under heavy braking - so I just experiment with the pressures until I dial out said squirm.  I much prefer to have a rock solid front end (in terms of stability), and have a loose rear end - thats what driving high performance Ford Capris and Fiat Supermiriafioris do to your driving style!  :wink:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 10:04:23 pm »
If you liked the PS2 you will love the PSS.

I don't know if they have an 'E' marking, but Michelin makes the PSS (in France)
in 225/45 R17 and 225/40 R18 for the US market. Crazy thing though.
The PSS are sold as an official road tyre - so they'll have to be E approved.  The PSS will be going on my RS4 when the current PS2s wear out - 275/35 ZR19 100Y eXtra Load anyone?  :innocent:

Linky - http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-super-sport
------

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »
I thought that by increasing the tyre pressures to that kind of pressure that the straight line acceleration and braking stability would be hugely compromised.

(I was told this by an ex-F1 driver who now runs a driver training school, not by my friend 'Bob' from down the road)......
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
I thought that by increasing the tyre pressures to that kind of pressure that the straight line acceleration and braking stability would be hugely compromised.
How to you come to that conclusion?

Most 'decent' modern radial tyres, with their steel belting under the tread, will keep the actual tread width reasonably constant, whatever the tyre pressure.  Lowering or increasing tyre pressure will just have the effect of making the sidewall less or more compliant - more compliant=less stability under high loading (ie heavy braking).

(I was told this by an ex-F1 driver who now runs a driver training school, not by my friend 'Bob' from down the road)......
With respect - what has a rear engined rear wheel drive slick-shodden racing car got to do with a front engine front wheel drive road car?

And is he 'ex' F1 because he was 'shyte' F1?  :popcornsoda:
------

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06:50 am »
Most 'decent' modern radial tyres, with their steel belting under the tread, will keep the actual tread width reasonably constant, whatever the tyre pressure.  Lowering or increasing tyre pressure will just have the effect of making the sidewall less or more compliant - more compliant=less stability under high loading (ie heavy braking).

No. TT. Higher pressuere will 'shorten' the contact patch in forward direction.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:33 am »

With respect - what has a rear engined rear wheel drive slick-shodden racing car got to do with a front engine front wheel drive road car?

Come on, seriously?!

Just because he is an ex F1 driver because he was "shyte" doesn't mean he knows nothing about car set-up/vehicle dynamics! Also the fact that he now runs a driver training school for every type of vehicle - be it FWD/RWD, front engine FWD, mid engine RWD etc etc means that he probably has a lot of knowledge about general car set-up. (by the way he had a near-fatal accident which stopped him from continuing in F1, it wasn't because he was shyte. He also races numerous other cars)

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that someone who has arguably more knowledge than you on car set-up has an opposite view to you, and I'm merely putting his point into the equation so to try and understand and evaluate both views! Forgive me for leaning towards the views of an ex F1 driver  :grin:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:19:36 am »

No. TT. Higher pressuere will 'shorten' the contact patch in forward direction.

I said 'reasonably' constant.  Yes, I accept that it may marginally forshorten the contact patch in the longitudinal plane (it will not affect the lateral plane at all) - but the trade-off is increased stability under hard braking.

That is my personal preference, and it works for me!  :happy2:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 10:47:53 am »

Come on, seriously?!
It was a serious question - allbeit with a touch of 'tongue in cheek' irony too!  :happy2:

Just because he is an ex F1 driver because he was "shyte" doesn't mean he knows nothing about car set-up/vehicle dynamics!
You are confusing the issue - F1 isn't really a level playing field.  There are many excellent drivers which have shyte cars, and many shyte drivers which have excellent cars.  And there are many shyte F1 drivers who have 'lucked' into an F1 championship (either through an excellent car, or through blatant fcukups from other teams who should have taken the title - Kimi Raikonen is a classic example).  And finally, there are seriously good drivers who have missed out on titles for a variety of reasons (Stirling Moss because he was an utter 'gent' and say Jenson Button because he endured years of that shyte Honda).

And my point about F1 car dynamics vs 'road car' dynamics is perfectly valid too - Kimi Raikonen (again) - an F1 world champ, but a complete mr nobody in rallying.  If you were to relate F1 dynamics to road cars, then you could only seriously apply it to a GT type exotica with a rear engine - a Golf GTI bears very little resemblence in dynamics to an F1 car.  If you seriously want to get a 'racing driver' to teach road car dynamics, then you need to be looking at either a touring car driver or a rally car driver.  :wink:

Also the fact that he now runs a driver training school for every type of vehicle - be it FWD/RWD, front engine FWD, mid engine RWD etc etc means that he probably has a lot of knowledge about general car set-up. (by the way he had a near-fatal accident which stopped him from continuing in F1, it wasn't because he was shyte. He also races numerous other cars)
Jack of all trades, master of none!  :innocent:

There are fundamental flaws in getting 'race car' drivers to teach road car driving - try taking the racing line on the public highway, and you are likely looking at 6pts, a healthy fine, and maybe even a ban if you get caught.  Someone like say Don Palmer, or police driving instructors are far better at teaching approriate skills for road car driving.

Anyway, who is he?  And sorry on hearing about his accident - I know from personal experience how a serious injury affects your career.  :sad1:  :drinking:

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that someone who has arguably more knowledge than you on car set-up has an opposite view to you, and I'm merely putting his point into the equation so to try and understand and evaluate both views!
O-rly . . . how long has he owned a Mk5 Golf GTI - and more importantly, one with my spec of mods??????  Sorry, but I smell something brown and stinky . . .  Are you honestly tying to state that he knows more about my specific car than I do?  How many sets of yankie spec CSC 5Ps has he used ????  :stupid:

Forgive me for leaning towards the views of an ex F1 driver  :grin:
And forgive me for putting forward my own, massively more relevant point of view.

Signed . . . NOT an overpaid ex-prima donna!  :evilgrin:
------

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »
It was a serious question - allbeit with a touch of 'tongue in cheek' irony too!  :happy2:

Come on, TT. Not all your questions are seriously taken.

Even the worst F1 driver is miles ahead from all of us.
Some years ago I had the chance to have a demo on the passenger seat with a world class rally driver.
His car control has been absolutely stunning !!

If you really want to learn more read this book: DRIVING ON THE EDGE

http://www.autocourse.com/products/driving-on-the-edge/