Make a donation

Author Topic: Bonnet respray question  (Read 2089 times)

colchesterED

Bonnet respray question
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »
Hi-new to the forum & after some advice regarding my bonnet. I have a 2005 diamond black gti that has somehow suffered some deep scratches/gouges to the bonnet and a small dent. There's probably 5-7 in total maybe 2 inches each. My question is whether it's a non starter trying to source another bonnet in the same colour due the colour match/age issue? And along the same lines if i were to simply have mine filled/resprayed would it require wings blending etc again due colour match? it's far from a show car but it's a car i've had from new and intend on keeping a lot longer. finally can anyone recommend a bodyshop in the colchester chelmsford or ipswich area and should i go with "vw approved". many thanks for any replies. Ed

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Bonnet respray question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:24:15 pm »
hi mate and welcome i cant help much with your Q but id go for a body shop which is recommended, im sure someone on here will be along soon to recommend 1,   :happy2:

Brett
Still Here!

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »
Hi

I'm now on my third 'diamond black pearl' bonnet....dont ask  :signLOL:

no issues regarding colour matching etc, a good body shop will be able to match your paint up just right without any issues

i would recommend you repair your own if the damage isnt too bad...

(can't help with recommendations for a body shop i'm afraid...good luck!)
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:58:39 pm »
hi ed,

like others have said dont go to the cheapest place, you get what you pay for when it comes to paint, i got mine done, was supposed to be £600 but even the good places still need business so i got it for £500, they will need to spray the wings too to blend it in, but if your bonnet is chipped then they undoubtedly will be too.

good luck

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:40:39 am »
my black gti had really bad stonechips all over the front end so i got the bonnet bumper and wings painted as far as i know they didnt have to blend anything and you couldnt tell the difference between the door and the wing even the metallic flakes were the same colour i dont know how much this cost as it was a good mate done it for me

Offline maxxximus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »
Wouldn't bother with VW approved as from what I hear they just subcontract it out and charge you stealer prices. :laugh:

colchesterED

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:19:22 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Had another look today and think it's def a full respray job so if anyone does have a recommendation for a bodyshop.....

Offline al-tdi170

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:40:21 am »
Where are you from ?? Depends if you'd travel far
Chris Gregory bodyshop Knaresbrough , auto refinishing.
Best work I've ever seen !!!!!!

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:44:16 am »
you don't need to blend black, it's one of the advantages to having a black car.

approved bodyshops needn't cost the earth, but what i'd do is approach them yourself rather than through a dealership. i've just been quoted £240 to have the bonnet of my 2006 Phantom Black A3 sprayed from an Audi (and VW/Seat/Skoda and Merc) Approved bodyshop in Stoke (PF Autos) - and i don't think i'm going to get a substandard job for that because they had 2 DB5s and an F40 (as well as a 60s Jag, a 70s Merc SL and some old Bentleys) in their garage waiting to be restored when i got the quote. so clearly they'll be up to the task.

with the issues that the Mk5 has with it's wings i would go for an Approved place, just so you keep your warranty intact if you need it. but call around and haggle hard.

2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+