Make a donation

Author Topic: standard gti or modifed what do we think  (Read 2445 times)

Offline WESTU123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
standard gti or modifed what do we think
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »
right guys had a standard mk5 gti in work today doing some work to it took it a test drive

and was shocked at how well it drove and how much i enjoyed driving a standard one for a change

ie no non ress milltek,lowered etc

so the delima is i keep thinking to maself have a wasted mine by modding it  :confused:

what do we all think

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: standard gti or modifed what do we think
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »
if you enjoy modding it its your car do what you want if it makes you happy and you enjoy it  :smiley: you can always go back to stock if you wanted

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »
Having only just started modding mine from standard, I find myself loving the car all over again, I must admit I was getting a little bored with the standard model, now I find myself looking forward to taking her out.  Don't get me wrong the standard car is great, but IMHO a modded version is how it should of come from the factory :evilgrin:

These are only my thoughts, I'm sure there are others who will disagree  :smiley:
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:39 pm »
Mine's standard so I wonder what it's like to drive a remap etc.

I think the handling is good so your modded ones must be something else

Offline WESTU123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:44 pm »
dont get me wrong i love how my car goes etc but was just seing a standard out the box one made
me think i remember mines was like that dnt knw if i miss it

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:56 pm »
What sort of hp do you run at the mo then?

Offline WESTU123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50:30 pm »

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »
Flipping heck - mine would be slow for you then!?!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:58 am »
I have found that with cars in the past and put it down to modifying the car too much - and basically losing the cars character  :surprised:

My plan with the GTI is to use subtle enhancements where required, rather than try to turn it into a hard core track machine (or a focus RS wannabe).  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:19:41 am »
I think its all about trying to enhance the characteristics of the car rather than trying to alter the whole characteristics of the car.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:20 am »
Standard all the way for me.Love the way VW made the ED30 straight from the factory  :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:13:04 am »
Ive modified my 2.0tfsi and now have just put it almost back to standard. I now run with the oe pcv and engine cover rather than a catch can and intake.  I am getting a bcs exhaust and keeping the autotech hpfp fitted. I chose bcs mainly because they make excellent exhausts and will appear stock once fitted. Plus its not in your face loud and makes a nice sporty note. I dont want massive horse power but i want to make it more driveable. I think there are times when you can have too much power and it does ruin the cars characteristic. Makes them undriveable on the road. If I want to go back to standard map I can reinstall my oe map and the car will be back to almost 197bhp, so I have that flexibility if I so choose.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:23:00 am »
Standard all the way!!!
What does everyone get horny about when looking at a mk1 or mk2 golf?!?
The fact that it's 100% standard and unmolested :) and if they are not they spend a fortune taking all the bits off it and going back to standard... there's bits and pieces I don't like about my mk5, like the black bottom of the rear bumper and black skirts.. But there's still something I love about owning a 100% factory car

Mind you factory mods and retro fits are cool but I like mine exactly how it left the dealer (standard with 18s)

Mind you saying that my other car is a 306 gti6 which has been completely stripped and is awaiting a roll cage and in the future either throttle bodies or a super charger and that was 100% factory when I bought it lol

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:43 am »
its your car so do what you want. if you think something needs improving most things are easy to sort on these and you can then get the car to feel more how you want it.

a remap will transform the car, isn't expensive and won't hurt the car in any way. definitely worth doing no matter how or where you drive.

the standard gear change is crap so a nice OEM audi TT short shifter tightens things up nice but keeps it OEM VAG parts. takes 20 mins to fit and is the best mod i have done to my car as i hated the standard throw. felt worse than my van but now its good.

A nice cat back exhaust will look nicer but if you go for a resonated it will sound no different. Non-resonated is still quiet, not boomy at all and just makes it sound and look a lot nicer.

i wouldn't be putting body kits or daft stereos in a gti but subtle little mods which are easy to take off transform a car and if its what you enjoy then wheres the problem.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »
I seriously doubt ANYONE buys a car and says "yup this car is perfect in every way, i couldnt think of ANYTHING i would change"

Theres always little niggly things that can be improved to make the car how you want it (such as short shift, lowering springs to sharpen it up a bit etc). If you end up getting bodykits, roll cages, new or stripped out interiors etc then chances are, youve bought the wrong car. . .

Subtle "enhancements" FTW  :happy2:

Worst thing you can do is go over the top chasing amazing handling & big power, before you know it the car is nothing like the car you bought (seems similar to the OP's experience).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:13:43 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr