Make a donation

Author Topic: Genuine VW Mk 5 Golf Roofbars  (Read 1244 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Genuine VW Mk 5 Golf Roofbars
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:36 am »
Recently acquired some of these. They have some sponge padding on the metal parts that attach to the car. The sponge has deteriorated and needs replacing. Did they come with this spongy part from new as i have never seen a new set ? What have others done or does anyone have a relatively new set they could put a photo on here so i can match the original as much as possible .
Thanks
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Genuine VW Mk 5 Golf Roofbars
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
I've not seen a genuine VW set from new, but I'd highly recommend Helicopter Tape to protect your roof from the bars. I use Thule bars but never without taping up the contact areas on the roof :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:20:31 am »
My set have more of a rubber sheath that fits over the contact area. I'd either speak to VW, who I'd bet will be totally useless, or use tape as Lou says. With it being the bit that goes under the door still you will at least be unable to see it.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:23:58 am »
Yup, for the lip inside the door shut, I use duct tape & push a hole through it for the roof bar retaining lug to locate through. Helicopter tape for the outside only cos it ain't cheap.

You can also use frame protection tape from your local bicycle shop.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:09:07 am »
So have any of you got a photo of your roofbars bit that attaches to the car then ? I can then tape up as you state to protect the bodywork the same as you seem to have done. I'm just not sure the spongy bits came as standard and have been added by a previous owner......only pics of the genuine vw ones though  :happy2:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:01 am »
Type "VW genuine roof bars" into Google Images  :happy2:

Lots of pics, I don't see foam anywhere....