Make a donation

Author Topic: standard gti or modifed what do we think  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: standard gti or modifed what do we think
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »
I must admit Ive probably modded every previous car ive owned in one way or another, but with the Mk5 Ive just felt no need to. I had my last 2 cars remapped (A3 1.8T Quattro and S3) and yeah the difference in power is very noticable but I soon got used to the difference and started thinking "right, what next?" Im determined to fight the 'modders bug' and keep it standard.

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »
I bought mine as standard modded it to stage 2+, sold all the bits just before christmas and went back to standard as i thought about selling. Found out what they were worth now which is a lot less than i paid for mine so thought bugger it and started buying all the bits back again. I am going to go a little further this time though. I changed the suspension to coilies which i thought were quite harsh but when putting stock suspension back on i was really surprised at how harsh stock is. Modding all the way for me

Offline WESTU123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »
dnt get me wrong i havnt went mad with the car fitted xenons, r32 brakes, full milltek ,itg kit and a remap etc
but i keep looking at pics of it standard and go i loved it then mmm

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:11:12 pm »
I personally think the mk5 is a bit soft for a hot hatch in standard trim, but to be fair thats what the golf is all about, everyday usability. Great thing about the golf is that it does mod very well and has a great scene IMO. It's obviously up to you what you do with your car but if yours is modded I think you would soon get bored of stock.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »
What he said.

I think Clarkson coined the 'All Cars to All Men' phrase and, like him or loathe him, I think it best describes the Mk5 GTI. Its not a sportscar, but its not an average hatchback, its not that expensive to run but not particularly cheap either. It looks great, its not not mega quick but quick enough for an average petrol head, you can use it like a normal car, you could take it to a trackday (within reason), great build quality etc etc. Back in the 70s this was effectively what the Mk1 did and the Mk2 (some would say) improved upon later on. The Mk3 and Mk4 IMO lost this overall balance.

I'm no stranger to modifying cars, but for now I'm happy with the all-rounder my car is. If I wanted more power and comprimises for a particular style of driving, I'd have probably bought an M3. That said, I'd love to have a go in a Stage 1 Mk5 to feel the difference that lots have talked about and I wouldn't rule it out in future.

Ultimately people will have a preferred 'balance' of standard v mods and that diversity is what makes me enjoy using the forum. :happy2:
'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!