Make a donation

Author Topic: New laptop advice needed  (Read 626 times)

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
New laptop advice needed
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:02:34 pm »
Hi guys,

My laptop died on me last night and it doesn't look like a problem that is going to be fixable cheaply.

So I'm on the look out for a new one. Ideally don't want to spend more than £500 but may go a lil higher if it's worth it.

I only really need it for Internet browsing and doing some work using the Microsoft Office package but would like something decent that will last a while.

Anyone know of any good deals on currently?

Any advice would be great.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: New laptop advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:58 pm »
Do you know why it's died? If it's a hdd failure then that's easily and cheaply remedied.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:22:11 pm »
Not sure to be honest. I've had it 2-3 years now and just recently had a few problems where now and again it would randomly just switch off. But this didn't bother me much as I wasn't using it a lot.

I left it on charge yesterday and it was all good, came back to it last night, switched it on and the led
comes on but nothing happens. You get a quick flash on the screen but nothing else. It makes no sounds at all though so you wouldn't even know it was on without the led.

It still charges the battery aswel. I have tried it with just the battery and just on ac
power but get the same thing.

It's a Toshiba A-200.

Offline lloydber

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:39:48 pm »
general internet browsing and within £500 you should probably get something like an intel core i3/i5 they're quite affordable. with the i5 you get turbo boost so on the off chance you're using a demanding a program it overclocks the processor slightly making it faster. 4gb of ddr3 ram and 500gb hard drive are usually standard in the newer generation of laptops too. so something like that would be quick for what you.d use it for.

a website to check out could be hotukdeals.co.uk or something they occasionally have laptop deals on there. Could try electrical retailers like currys/comet as they've always got laptops with savings etc.

hope this helps