Make a donation

Poll

i am looking to get a new dslr and have narrowed it down to this two?

cannon 600d
8 (72.7%)
nikon d5100
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: i fancy a new dslr, help?  (Read 4419 times)

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
i fancy a new dslr, help?
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:51:45 pm »
i currently have an olympus e420 which was my first dslr but now i have the urge to move to either canon or nikon. finding lenses etc will be alot easier for this two compared to olympus.

both can be had for around £550.

i have read some various reviews and both seem to be what i am looking for with both plus and minus points for both.

if this link works it should show a comparison between the two

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/Compare/CompareFeatures.html?productTypeId=481

I cant really budget to go for anything more to be honest. i know these two came out last year but how quickly to they normally come out with the newer model? ideally would like this bought before april as i have a tuition booked. cheers
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:56:15 pm by dav-aberdeen »

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: new dslr?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »
Doesn't work but you might find these links more useful:

comparison
d5100 review
600d review

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: i fancy a new dslr, help?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:52 pm »
thanks for those links  :happy2:

still cant decide... ha ha

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:04:53 pm »
Both are very good and get good reviews :happy2:

But the thing is a Canon owner will say buy the Canon and a Nikon user would say buy the Nikon :laugh:

Best advice I can give is to go into your local camera store and have a look and hold of both then decide what feels right for you. When I was first looking into buying an SLR I walked into jessop's with the intention of buying a Canon but walked out with a Nikon D5000, the nikon just fitted my hand better and my fingers found the buttons easier to get on with :innocent: Plus IMO the Nikon seemed to have a better build quality :popcornsoda:

Hope that helps

Ben

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »
Also try a Pentax K-5 as they are now almost half their launch price.

Well I would say that as I have 2 of them but still a good camera and even better in the right hands.  :innocent:

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:13:39 pm »

But the thing is a Canon owner will say buy the Canon and a Nikon user would say buy the Nikon :laugh:

Best advice I can give is to go into your local camera store and have a look and hold of both then decide what feels right for you. When I was first looking into buying an SLR I walked into jessop's with the intention of buying a Canon but walked out with a Nikon D5000, the nikon just fitted my hand better and my fingers found the buttons easier to get on with :innocent: Plus IMO the Nikon seemed to have a better build quality :popcornsoda:

Hope that helps

Ben

thanks ben, well it was the 600d that i was set to buy and noticed all the reviews compare the two which got me interested. i will have to get to the shop to get my hands on them. cheers

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »
Also try a Pentax K-5 as they are now almost half their launch price.

Well I would say that as I have 2 of them but still a good camera and even better in the right hands.  :innocent:

just had a look at the pentax and the specs to seem great but i think they are still maybe £200 over my budget.

cheers

Offline joeya

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
I would go for the 600D really nice camera, invest in some decent glass as well  :happy2:

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »
Joey by glass you mean lens?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:13 pm »
Yup. Glass = Lens. :smiley:

Jimmgc51

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

Hope that helps

Ben

Bang on advice, I had the same dilemma when buying my DSLR and ultimately they are both as good as each other it just came down to which one felt better. After visiting a camera store for me the Nikon just felt better and I prefered the button locations etc and just knew this was the one for me.

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 01:14:46 pm »
have you thought about a Pentax KX or Kr

Offline dav-aberdeen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:51:48 am »
If I am being honest I haven't thought about Pentax. I have an Olympus but I find it hard to find lenses etc so I am going  with the most popular two being canon or Nikon. That's the real reason for changing.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:12 am »
Let's face it, you're going to be happy with whichever you choose. However, if you want the best camera, reviews suggest the Nikon is the one to go for.

Also, it will be of no concern to you, but in the Pro world, Nikon seems to be making considerable steps ahead of Canon.

MrBen

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:00:26 pm »
D3100 owner here, and I think it's brilliant.  Played with the D5100 but couldn't justify the increased cost as I don't use it enough.

Compared to the equivalent Canons, the main reason I went with the Nikon is it just felt better built - Canon felt far more plasticy, controls not as smooth to use etc.