Make a donation

Author Topic: Fuel pumps  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Sarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Fuel pumps
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:41 pm »
What's my options for uprated fuel pumps?  My car's running stage 2 at the moment but it's never had the fuel pump changed  :surprised: :stupid:

I will be selling my current wheels and using the funds to purchase so should have £400 tops, what can I get?

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Fuel pumps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:30 pm »
APR all the way in my opinion.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:41 pm »
I have some Autotech updated internals for £270 delivered :happy2:

Offline Sarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »
How easy is it to fit the internals compared to just fitting a new pump? 

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:09 pm »
Here are the instructions. It's pretty easy tbh. Just to note they are for an A4 so careful when you put it all back together again as some sensors are different.

http://www.autotech.com/mm5/instructions/i127100k.pdf

It should take 1 to 1.5 hrs :happy2:

Offline Sarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:39:39 pm »
There seems to a pretty big difference in cost for the new pump or the internals.  Do the internals provide the same performance as the whole new pump?

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:13 pm »
yes they do . i used interals on my car . a bit tricky but just take your time , worth fitting a new cam follower at the same time too
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:30 pm »
There is a good reason for the price difference.  I couldn't agree that the internals perform in the same manner as an APR pump as the APR pump will have a modified seal on the shaft which as it happens is exactly where pumps with internals fitted tend to fail.

Having had probably one of the very first sets of internals in the UK many years ago, following other owners etc with them and then owning an APR pump I think as I said above the APR pump is without doubt the best.  Sure it's expensive but you certainly get what you pay for.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:59 pm »
yes they do . i used interals on my car . a bit tricky but just take your time , worth fitting a new cam follower at the same time too

A must in my opinion. :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:06:01 am »
I've been looking into this myself lately.

There are 2 main options:

1. Autotech - internals only

2. APR - either with a rebuilt pump or a brand new pump

Now from my searches I understand that there was some issue with the Autotech's design causing fuel to be forced under the OEM seal of the pump causing failure. This was a relatively rare phenomenon however, and PDT tuning (a member of this forum) reported fitting in excess of 100 Autotech internals without a single failure.

A couple of members on here reported a failure, but at the same time one member reported running one for 56k miles without incident.

The APR pump uses uprated seals that theoretically counteracts this problem. However, it was the opinion of some that all APR are doing is the same as any tuner would do when they fit a set of Autotech internals and charging silly money for it. Apparently APR test their pumps before they are shipped out, but a couple of sources stated they were only tested to 5bar, which is significantly less than the pump's operating 130bar. I cannot comment on the veracity of this claim.

No matter which option you choose, cam follower wear will increase. When I get mine fitted I'll be replacing the cam follower and then probs replacing it every 20k miles after that.

The APR is much pricier than the Autotech, but PSI Tuning are doing an exchange programme whereby you give them your old pump, they fit a rebuilt one from their stock and then give you a rebate when your old pump comes back rebuilt. This makes the APR much more affordable, but I'm still waiting to hear how much you'd get for your old pump.

Tbh I wouldn't have any qualms with fitting an Autotech pump. I'm not convinced there's enough hard evidence to suggest that you're better off spending twice as much on an APR pump. But as is the case with all these things you need to ensure that it is fitted by an experienced professional and that you're aware of the possiblity of failure and look for signs of trouble early. A sniff of the oil dipstick for petrol every month or so should suffice. (You should be checking the oil level at least monthly so this is no extra work!)

S.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:11:39 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+