Make a donation

Author Topic: Chrome Alloy Wheel Service  (Read 1621 times)

Offline jamiew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Chrome Alloy Wheel Service
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has had any experience with any alloy wheel chroming companies, not sure if its been done but i want to get my pescara's in chrome, thanks for any help

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Chrome Alloy Wheel Service
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:31:47 am »
I would really advise against it to be honest, I bought crome alloys once for a tidy sum, within a short time period the chrome will start to chip off as each time you go over gravel etc it will chip away the chrome and then the chrome  dont look so good...

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:35 am »
I have had a few sets of wheels refurbished in my time and the hardest/most durable finish is probably powdercoating. So if you could get a finish like chrome but by powder coating it'd be the best, right? It's never gonna be as shiny-shiny-see-your-face-in-it as proper chroming but its far more practical and cheaper to do.

I got a set of BBS CH002's I got done a while ago in AeroCoat, a chrome-like finish but still powder-coat.
If you can't find a place that does this nearby you, and want to courier me your wheels, I am happy to take them to my local refurber and then send them back to you.

BBS CH002 in AeroChrome

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:26 am »
I would really advise against it to be honest, I bought crome alloys once for a tidy sum, within a short time period the chrome will start to chip off as each time you go over gravel etc it will chip away the chrome and then the chrome  dont look so good...

+1 you will need to look after them more than a baby I had some not cheap options either and they just don't last
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:40 am »
My wife had a Mazda MX5 anniversary a few years ago, which came with chrome wheels.  We sold it at 5 years old, and they were still pristine.  We still miss that car!

I've just had my 18" Monzas powdercoated in smoked chrome.  The idea was that I'd be as close as possible to the original diamond cut, but much more durable.  It's early days in terms of durability, but they look superb.

My wheels had black primer applied, but using a lighter primer would get you the finish you're looking for.  I suggest you find a refurber who comes recommended, and ask their advice.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:14 am »
I have had a few sets of wheels refurbished in my time and the hardest/most durable finish is probably powdercoating. So if you could get a finish like chrome but by powder coating it'd be the best, right? It's never gonna be as shiny-shiny-see-your-face-in-it as proper chroming but its far more practical and cheaper to do.

I got a set of BBS CH002's I got done a while ago in AeroCoat, a chrome-like finish but still powder-coat.
If you can't find a place that does this nearby you, and want to courier me your wheels, I am happy to take them to my local refurber and then send them back to you.

BBS CH002 in AeroChrome

they are nice--thing i might get mine done that colour