Make a donation

Author Topic: Upper rear brake light and MOT  (Read 992 times)

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
Upper rear brake light and MOT
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:45:40 am »
I am just back from getting an MOT check on a 2007 MK5 GTI. Before going for the test next week they said the only thing that needs done is for the rear brake light at the top of the boot to be replaced because they said it was dim. I may be paranoid but it seems fine to me and I thought it was led. Do LEDs dim? I thought they either worked or didn't. Let me know your thoughts as this is going to cost £99 for parts and labour.

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Upper rear brake light and MOT
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:15 am »
Not sure about the upper brake light dimming but they are prone to moisture and failure,i replaced mine myself all for the cost of the unit,think it was about £35:00....

the only part im told that is fidly is getting the old unit out,but i didnt have that problem as mine was hanging out one morning when i woke up. :signLOL:

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »
Lol. Well its a big dealership do the replacement so hopefully there's so scratches to the car etc. Call me paranoid but I'm taking photos before I leave it in.

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:30 pm »
VW wanted to take the whole rear spoiler off to fit the light correctly as it has two bolts that slide over a couple of brackets,but these are not needed as the light itself actually snaps back in..i just removed the bolts and pushed the unit back in place.

Mine has been fine ever since i did the repair (and believe me i aint no car buff). :signLOL:

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »
Don't pay them to do it. I got my replacement for £40 then replaced it myself. There's a how to on here somewhere  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »
Don't pay them to do it. I got my replacement for £40 then replaced it myself. There's a how to on here somewhere  :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5563.0.html  :happy2: