Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Oil Disappearing- VW say cant find a fault- advice please  (Read 5449 times)

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
Re: Engine Oil Disappearing- VW say cant find a fault- advice please
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 09:55:39 am »

There's the answer from both angles. don't drive it, it won't use any, but if you are more enthusiastic with the throttle, it will use oil to some extent  :signLOL:

Exactly , it's all about the way you drive. The harder the engine has to work , then the more oil it will use , much like fuel  :smiley:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 09:58:35 am »
Its deff all about driving style with my car; the level barely moves for months when I'm just plodding along to work and the car rarely goes over 3k rpm but when I take it away for a weekends hooning it can quite quickly go through a litre of oil.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

diesel junior

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 10:43:57 am »
Spot on. Tootling about the costa blanca mine hardly uses any but have just done 1800km down to jerez and back for the f1 and it's gone from 'max' to the midway point. Mind you wasn't hanging around on the country roads of Andalusia  :driver:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 06:34:27 am »
Wow, that's a lot of oil. Mine has been driven pretty hard for 6k and I've only needed to top up 1 litre of Edge so far.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 09:10:08 am »
With the TFSi I always found that if you fill to the max every time it will drink it.  Leave it between min & max and consumption reduces drastically.

It's also good to use some oil as it refreshes the properties of the oil to combat engine wear and corrision.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 11:39:33 am »
My style of driving is not aggressive to be honest so doubt this would be the reason for using up more oil than some other people. The dealer did a check said all ok, they said I have to go back aft 800 miles to have it checked again. One of my mates said it can be to do with build quality of engine, some may be built better than others or in better condition than others but find this hard to believe to be honest